Soon everything will be corrupted. Including you.
Phazon Corruption, also called Phazon Fever, Phazon Madness, and Phazon Sickness, is a degenerative condition that occurs when living matter is exposed to excessive amounts of Phazon radiation. Though Phazon Corruption is usually fatal, especially resilient species can survive total mutation. Infections of sentient beings, vegetation, and even entire planets have been documented. Early symptoms documented by Space Pirates include loss of equilibrium, erratic respitation, muscle spasms, and hallucinations. Corruption is characterized by a marked increase in aggression, cellular mutation, and in many cases involved inanimate matter such as stone, plants, or a planet, sentience.
When Phazon is introduced to an environment, it destroys ecosystems, exterminating unsuitable species and mutating compatible ones. The result of a complete corruption of a planet over several years is a Phazon-producing, sentient world, like Phaaze. Some species across the galaxy, however, such as the Galactic Federation and Space Pirates, have learned to control the substance and even artificially infuse infantry with Phazon for warfare tactics.
By means of Phazon-laden meteors that originate from Phaaze, many worlds were exposed to infection by Phazon, including Tallon IV, Aether, Bryyo, Elysia, and the Pirate Homeworld. Though Samus Aran was able to ultimately destroy the Phazon sources on those planets, she did encounter a variety of mutated creatures in those contaminated ecosystems, including corrupted Chozo, Elysians, and Metroids.
Hypermode is a state of being in which an organism can amplify itself and its weaponry with Phazon intentionally with a Phazon Enhancement Device (PED). This form can be manually activated and deactivated at will by the user. However, if one remains in Hypermode for an extended period of time without venting Phazon levels, the user will become Corrupted and will have a limited amount of time to deplete all Phazon via rapid weapon discharge or excretory means. If the Phazon is not fully rid from the victim's bodily system, the organism will become permanently Corrupted, and therefore become extremely aggressive along with the other symptoms of Phazon Corruption. If one's Hypermode system is unable to be shut down but has not become permanently corrupted, then an auto-vent will ensue at twenty-five seconds of use. The auto-vent does not inflict any harm on one with the PED suit except the venting of energy tanks, which is normal in the use of the Hypermode function.
The known symptoms of excessive exposure to Phazon to Samus, the other Hunters, and general bioforms are as follows:
- Stage 1: 10% Phazon Corruption (no negative effect)
- Self-generation of Phazon from bodily systems
- Stage 2: 25% Phazon Corruption
- Loss of awareness
- Uncontrollable Hypermode use (common while in Leviathan Seeds)
- Minor distortion of facial features
- Stage 3: 50% Phazon Corruption
- Increased aggressiveness
- Extreme nausea and vomiting
- Phazon Addiction
- Moderate distortion of facial features
- Changes in eye color
- Vine-like Phazon growths begin to grow on victim's face
- Stage 4: 75% Phazon Corruption
- Extreme uncooperation
- Lack of reliance on usual trusted allies
- Increased likelihood of friendly fire
- Increased hunger for Phazon
- Excessive use of Hypermode
- Closer resemblance to Dark Samus
- Intense distortion of the pupil
- Increased Phazon growths on face
- Change of facial expression
- Extreme uncooperation
- Stage 5: Above 75% Phazon Corruption (Corruption on Phaaze)
- Permanent Hypermode activity
- Difficulty venting energy tanks
- Imminent death
- Loss of recognition by scanning reticules (such as Samus's ship)
- Terminal Corruption, thus turning the victim into a Dark Echo
The main symptoms of Phazon Corruption are insanity and a lust for power. On some occasions, notably with Samus Aran, becoming Corrupted will transform the victim into another organism altogether, Samus becoming a twin image of Dark Samus. If one is to be in control of Corruption and have an ample supply of Phazon with him or her, he or she can use Phazon Corruption to manipulate other organisms and put them under their own control. This form of warfare is extremely devastating, and can wipe out entire armies and put them under one's control, as shown with Dark Samus's takeover of the Space Pirates. This attack is similar to the same organization's idea of using Metroids as weapons, needing a small amount to defeat large forces. The species is also vulnerable to Corruption, and poses as one of the most rare and deadly species of Corrupted organisms. A Corrupted Metroid is known to not only show increased aggressiveness, but the creature also develops an uncontrollable need for consumption of Phazon. The Metroid will overload excessive amounts of the substance, which is extremely hazardous to its health, and can ultimately self-terminate doing so. In rare cases, the Metroid will survive the epidemic and transform into what is known as a Metroid Prime. Corruption is known to spread across galaxies from its originating planet, Phaaze, discovered by Aurora Unit 217 Strangely, Metroids that thrive in the Phazon-filled depths of the planet retain their original forms.
The only known cure for Phazon Corruption was invented by Galactic Federation scientists when a Corrupting virus similar to a Phazon sickness spread to the organization's Aurora Units in several regions of the galaxy. The cure was in the form of a digital vaccine, similar to that of an anti-virus software, that can be uploaded into one of the units' networks and completely purge the virus. Unfortunately, this cure was only available to the Aurora Units, and not to the general bioforms that had been infected with Phazon, due to the vaccine being digitally implantable and nothing more. However, Samus has been corrupted twice by Phazon and has recovered both times. The first recovery was due to the Metroid Prime pulling at the Phazon within her in order to save itself. The second time Samus was corrupted, she destroyed Phaaze, which apparently destroyed all Phazon in the universe. This is assumed to have cured all others corrupted by Phazon as well.
Bioforms and organisms that have been infected by the Phazon virus are listed below:
- Space Pirates
- Aurora Unit 217
- Aurora Unit 313
- Samus Aran (by Dark Samus)
- Rundas (by Dark Samus)
- Ghor (by Dark Samus)
- Gandrayda (by Dark Samus)
Technician 12 relieved after showing symptoms of "Phazon Fever," in where he claimed the Phazon as his own and held us at gunpoint until security arrived." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The keeping of pets has been suspended until further notice. Domestic beasts have been deemed highly susceptible to Phazon Madness, and are therefore a hazard to personnel. All Gronkats and Olbaps must be disposed of immediately. Failure to comply will result in the loss of pay for a cycle and reduced rations." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon is a substance of extragalactic origin. It is a highly radioactive ore with extreme mutagenic properties. It has certain biological qualities, including the ability to reproduce itself. Exposure to Phazon often affects the brains of sentient beings, causing erratic, destructive behavior. It is also a potent source of energy, surpassing even Fuel Gel in pure output potential. It must be handled carefully, as it can cause “Phazon Sickness” if used incorrectly." —Galactic Federation Data "Phazon" (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Mining operations have begun near the crater where Phazon appears to be most concentrated. Daily Phazon yields have increased 44%, and our mining system becomes more streamlined as personnel and equipment flows increase. Several incidents of Phazon-induced madness have been reported, prompting augmented life-support regulations in the deeper chambers. Symptoms include loss of equilibrium, erratic respiration, muscle spasms, and in the most extreme cases, hallucinations. A timeline reassessment for the refinery operation is recommended, as the material proves more unstable than initial analysis indicated." —Pirate Data "Mining Status (Metroid Prime)
- "Our great leader, with the aid of our captured Aurora Unit, has discovered many of Phaaze's secrets. Dark Samus can now command the living world to send forth Phazon Seeds! She was eager to test this new power. When we heard the first world to receive this blessing was our Homeworld, we rejoiced. The Seed was sent into the void, and quickly made its way to our Homeworld. Our brethren foolishly tried to repel it, but their efforts were in vain. To think, once we were as pathetic as them! Now the deed is done, and slowly, our Homeworld becomes like Phaaze. Soon, there will be two living planets, two Phazon sources for our great leader to use as she sees fit. Soon, there will be thousands of new disciples for her to command." —Space Pirate Data "Purification" (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Our attempts to intercept the Federation ship
departing Aether were unsuccessful. With them went a collection of
Phazon, the first to fall into Federation hands. They foolishly
left most of the Phazon behind, allowing us to quickly collect what
we could. But in our haste we took more than mere Phazon. Our
scanners have detected the remains of Dark Samus, who has revived
herself within our Phazon storage.
Surely, we are cursed.
The fiendish shrew consumed all of the Phazon, then wiped out a third of the crew in a matter of minutes. Now she moves at will through the halls of Colossus, using her witchery to beguile the minds of the crew. We are unable to call for aid, and only a few of us remain to stand against her. All is lost." —Space Pirate Data "Stowaway" (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Studies of Metroid biology continue, though with limited progress. It seems likely that we will be much more successful using the Metroids for our means rather than trying to reproduce their powers. If they could be adequately tamed, we would have no need of a proper understanding of their metabolism. A small force of disciplined Metroids could wipe out entire armies, and once we find a way to shield them from cold-containment weapons, they will be invincible. Furthermore, if we could then harvest the energy they'd consumed, we would have a near-limitless source of power at our disposal." —Pirate Data "Metroid Forces" (Metroid Prime)
- "Fortunately, our scientists were quickly able to devise a vaccine." —Aurora Unit 242 (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "We were able to completely purge the virus." —Admiral Dane (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
Pathogens and Conditions