SkyTown is a research facility that floats high above the clouds of Planet Elysia. The Facility was created by the Chozo and is a known Galactic Federation base as well as Space Pirate facility. SkyTown is the only part of Elysia that Samus visits in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, besides the planet's Leviathan. What remains of SkyTown during Samus's visit is less than 50% of what it was when the station was first developed.
According to Lore entries, the Chozo race began development of SkyTown 1500 years before Samus Aran's visit. They created the area with individual Research Pods with what appears to be rocket engines under them, allowing them to hover. As the Chozo added on more to SkyTown, they spent important time for research and studies. This inspired them to create mechanoids to build and perform maintenance to the facility, while the Chozo studied space and its quantities.
The mechanoids, dubbed Elysians, were created about 50 years after SkyTown was first being built. The First Elysian was given self-awareness by the Chozo and marked Year One of the Elysian race. The Chozo sent Observation Satellites through the regions of space to further study the stars. A Chozo Researcher discovered an unknown planet that was extremely far away, even by Chozo standards. The Planet was revealed to be a living sentient, although the rest of the data was lost before any more could be revealed. 400 years after the Elysians creation, the Chozo departed from the Planet so that other races could learn of their knowledge and the Elysians might find answers to the mystery of the unknown planet. The Chozo then departed to the Planet Tallon IV, and was there that a massive object collided into the planet. This was recorded by the Elysians as they were in stasis 200 years after their creators' departure, caused by the lack of critical supplies, and stored in their memories in "dreams". The Elysians remained in their slumber for 835 years.
Galactic Federation Arrival
1035 years after the Chozo left SkyTown, the Galactic Federation Fleet approached the Planet and triggered the Elysians' defense systems, ultimately ending their stasis. As the Elysians prepared for battle, the Federation communicated with them and declared themselves to be coming in peace. A Treaty was made, and the two organizations cooperated together and created an age of prosperity for the Elysians. The Federation granted the Elysians supplies, fuel, and parts, and in return, they allowed the Federation to use SkyTown's scientific systems and learn a great deal of knowledge from their databanks. SkyTown's conditions in the sky were too dangerous for humans, however, and the Federation was forced to extract all of the humans and implant an Aurora Unit into the station's network, 217. 217 controlled the SkyTown facility, as well as the Elysians themselves. Throughout the next 65 years, the Elysians aided 217 and the Federation in research. One of these research studies was on the meteor impact on the Pirate Homeworld, which was then found out to be a link to the unknown planet. 65 years after the Aurora Unit's connection, it was infected by an unknown virus.
Approximately five months before Samus's arrival to Elysia, the Elysians witnessed a Leviathan impact their own Planet, destroying most of SkyTown. This spread Phazon throughout the Planet. Not much time had passed when Space Pirates attacked SkyTown and took control of its Eastern area. They destroyed many Elysians along the way, and crushed all plans of resistance from the drones. The Pirates built a massive shield around the Seed almost immediately after they had arrived. The Elysians soon discovered how they were being controlled by Phazon and that it was keeping them alive. They figured they could defeat them in some way revolving around their Phazon-based anatomy. Elysians were soon Corrupted and put under Space Pirate control. Two weeks after the impact, Hunter Ghor arrived at the facility to inject a vaccine into 217 and rid it of the virus. However, he too became corrupted by Phazon and lost his own will. He set off to hunt the remaining Elysians.
Bounty Hunter Samus Aran was soon commissioned by the Galactic Federation to carry out Ghor's duty and inject the vaccine into Aurora Unit 217. She successfully did so as well as defeat Ghor himself. She then received word from 217 that components to a Theronian Bomb were placed across SkyTown, and she set off to locate and assemble them. She did so, and dropped it on the Leviathan Shield with her Ship Grapple Beam, and defeated Helios and destroyed the Leviathan, ridding SkyTown of Phazon once and for all.
Every creature of SkyTown is an Elysian mechanoid, although Xenoresearch Labs contain Phazon Metroids that were stationed there by the Space Pirates.
- "The Chozo were watchers, studying the depths of space tirelessly to quench their thirst for knowledge." —Sky Town Data - Creators (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Several decades passed for the Chozo here at Elysia. The harsh winds and storms began to take their toll on the station, and upkeep began to take up more and more of their precious time. Seeing a need for assistance, they created us. The First Elysian, built by Chozo hands, stepped out of the mechanicreche 1,450.82 years ago. Crude by our current standards, the First was soon given the greatest gift of all by the Chozo. To better assist the creators, the First was given self-awareness. To all other Elysians, the First shared the Chozo gift. This event marks year One of the Elysian reckoning." —SkyTown Data - Gift (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "The Chozo were watchers, studying the depths of space tirelessly to quench their thirst for knowledge. From this facility they launched observation satellites, firing them into the heavens toward distant worlds. These satellites returned information that allowed them to analyze the various phenomena occurring across the cosmos. Through this process they were able to satisfy their intellectual appetite, one planet at a time. One day, a Chozo Searcher happened upon a very rare discovery. A once-thought-lost satellite delivered information on a distant world. It was incredibly far away, even by Chozo reckoning. Study of the stellar object revealed that it was, in many ways, a planet - and yet also sentient. Alive. This chance event was brief, and the information being collected was lost before the true identity of the planet was revealed." —SkyTown Data - Discovery (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "In the year 400 of Elysian reckoning, the time for our Chozo creators to leave had arrived. To us they entrusted the station and its purpose. We were to stand vigil and watch over the station until the time when others seeking knowledge and enlightenment arrived. With their departure came one last request from the Chozo Searcher - to continue exploring the skies for the answers to the mysterious planet. We gave her our word and resumed her tireless search. Day after day we hunted for the answers she desperately sought, but our efforts yielded nothing. We failed." —Sky Town Data - Alone (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "By the year 600, we of Elysia were low on critical supplies and fuel. We created smaller mechanoids to process fuel from the atmosphere of Elysia, but they proved unable to produce a sufficient supply. Unable to secure the necessary resources to sustain ourselves, we entered a state of hibernation to preserve our remaining stores of energy and parts. While we slumbered, the data collected by the station's equipment was fed to us in dreams." —SkyTown Data - Slumber (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Time passed slowly as we suffered through our bad dreams. We endured their visions until finally, in year 1435, our automated defense systems were triggered. A number of aliens, well armed and armored, had penetrated our battle screens and entered Elysia Station. Per protocol, we were revived from stasis to defend our home. As we mustered for battle, the aliens communicated with us and declared themselves to be under the banner of peace. A truce was called, and soon we began negotiations with the Galactic Federation. The Treaty of Elysia began a new era of prosperity for us." —SkyTown Data - Federation (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "The treaty brought with us new supplies, fuel, and parts from the Federation. In return, we allowed them to use Elysia Station as they saw fit. They were glad to use the station's powerful scientific systems, and gleaned a great deal of knowledge from our databanks. Unfortunately, the harsh atmosphere of our world was dangerous for the Federation researchers. They proposed to replace the humanoids with a single artificial intelligence unit, which they called Aurora." —SkyTown Data - Agreement (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Aurora was placed within one of our floating pods and connected into the station's network. This connection allowed Aurora to control not only the facility, but us as well. Our link allowed us to reap the benefits of the Aurora's own connection to the Federation's Aurora network. The units were capable of communicating with one another regardless of the distance, and vast amounts of information were passed down to us. As the years went by we aided the Aurora and our Federation allies in their research. We studied potential enemy threats and collected data on their activities. It was, in some small way, a means to atone for our inability to help our creators years ago. Through our alliance with the Federation, we were able to prevent many disasters, and bring an end to numerous threats in the cosmos. We are not certain if that was what our creators would have wished to happen, but it certainly was a peaceful life." —SkyTown Data - Aurora (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "It was approximately 5 months ago that our systems detected a meteor-like object collide with a planet in a nearby galaxy. The impact was followed by a spreading corruption identical to the one we saw devour our creators' planet. More so than ever, we were determined to aid the Aurora and discover the source of these objects. Months passed before we could uncover its origin-it had come through a wormhole from an incredibly distant planet. We studied this link between the tear in space and the location it was connected to. As we delved deeper it became clear that this was the mysterious planet the Chozo Searcher had been seeking. The living planet was aggressively attacking the other worlds, hurtling parts of itself across the cosmos like Missiles. We had finally discovered the source of these corrupted meteors. It was about one month ago that we made our revelation, but all attempts at transmitting the critical data to the Federation were unsuccessful. It appeared that the Aurora Unit had become disabled. We tried desperately to restore the Aurora but, it had been corrupted by an unknown virus. Our only means of communication with the Federation was severed." —SkyTown Data - Loss (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "One week after we had lost communication with the Aurora Unit, we witnessed the living planet strike again. It sent forth several stellar objects, one aimed directly for us. It streaked through the clouds of Elysia, destroying a large portion of our home, ultimately striking the distant core below. Soon our sensors detected the presence of strange energy. Our readings matched with the Federation's data-this was the same toxin that corrupted countless other planets and our creators' world-the galactic scourge called Phazon." —SkyTown Data - Phazon (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "We watched as Elysia fell victim to the meteor's corruption, its Phazon beginning to consume her. High above the noxious surface, we continued to collect data on the object. It was not long before we met a new enemy. Space Pirates, hostile alien life-forms and sworn enemies of the Federation, entered the station and attacked. The Pirate forces struck swiftly, their numbers and weapons dwarfing our own. After their initial assault, they began construction of a massive energy shield around the meteor. They referred to the fallen object as a "Seed" and quickly built the protective barrier. Any resistance they met from us was crushed, and the massive shield was built without interruption. Our attention then turned to the Pirates themselves. If we could not stop them through combat, perhaps there was another way. Our studies quickly yielded unexpected results. All of the Space Pirates were corrupted with Phazon, but unlike other life-forms, they were actually being sustained by it. This Phazon kept them alive, and it appeared to control their minds with a will of its own." —SkyTown Data - Invader (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "The two weeks following the Seed's impact were disastrous. Like the Aurora Unit, we too were infected with a Phazon-based virus. The spreading corruption consumed many of us, putting us under Space Pirate control. It was not long before only a handful of us remained. During this time there was but a moment that we received aid. Ghor, the Hunter dispatched by the Federation, arrived here to restore the Aurora Unit. Our hope quickly vanished as he too was corrupted by Phazon and lost his own will. He now leads the assault on the remaining survivors, taking more and more of the station over with each passing day. There is no hope left for us. Soon, we too will be among the enemy forces. The last of us now stand before the brink of history's end, silently waiting out our final hours." —SkyTown Data - Defeat (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)