The Amorbis are worm-like creatures native to Dark Aether that serve as the Guardian of the Energy Controller in Dark Agon Wastes. These gigantic tunneling Guardians, while potent foes, cannot survive long if their protective outer shell is damaged.
Three Amorbis appear when Samus first enters their domain, and then promptly tunnel into the earth. The battle begins with a single Amorbis, vulnerable to all types of weapons fire, burrowing out of the ground with enough momentum to make a brief airborne attack before it burrows beneath the surface again. Samus must fire at its head until it sustains significant damage, at which point it attaches to the Dark Sphere at the center of the temple. Once attached, the Amorbis becomes Dark Amorbis, and energy from the Dark Sphere lends it powerful armor, the ability to fire bursts of dark energy that can nullify safe zones, and regenerative powers. While avoiding these attacks, Samus must fire at its head until its armor shatters.
When its armor is irreparably damaged, the Amorbis will fall to the ground and inhale violently, creating a vacuum-like effect; during this time Samus must enter Morph Ball mode and enter the vacuum, to the end of gaining access to its vulnerable mouth cavity. From within, Samus can drop a bomb, the concussive effects of which cause heavy damage. The damaged Amorbis will then slam the Dark Sphere into the ground, cracking it in the process.
A second Amorbis will then appear and the process repeats; Samus has to damage them until they both attach to the Dark Sphere. Using their abilities conjointly, they will fire large purple beams that sweep around the area. Samus must shatter each one's armor and detonate bombs inside each of them. The Amorbis will slam the Dark Sphere into the ground again, cracking it even further.
Finally the third Amorbis will appear and Samus repeats the process again while evading their attacks, now made more potent by the addition of another Amorbis.
After the final Amorbis slams the Dark Sphere into the ground, it will die, and the Dark Sphere will explode, revealing the Dark Suit within.
- Amorbis may the be largest boss Samus has ever fought, along with Kraid, Quadraxis, Flaahgra, Omega Pirate, Omega Ridley, and Mogenar.
- Amorbis bears great resemblance to Twinmold from the Legend of Zelda series game The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- "Morphology: Amorbis
Gigantic tunneling Guardians. Avoid target as it enters and leaves the earth: look for disturbances in the ground. Target cannot survive for long if its outer shell is cracked." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Morphology: Dark Amorbis
Dark energy-charged Guardians. Targets gain armor, beam weapon, and regenerative powers when fused to Dark Sphere. Weak spot within mouth detected: concussive force will deliver heavy damage to it." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The enormous Amorbis can move through solid rock and earth with ease, and can sense the location of surface-level prey deep within the ground. They will attempt to ram any target they can find in their domain. They are vulnerable to all forms of weapons fire, but are incredibly strong and resistant to pain." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Amorbis" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Amorbis can attach themselves to the Dark Sphere, drawing potent energy from within. They can fire dark energy at Light Crystals, nullifying Safe Zones for a short time. They can also channel this energy into powerful beam attacks. Bioscans indicate a weak spot inside the creature’s mouth. Concentrate your fire at this area to damage an Amorbis." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Dark Amorbis " (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)