Biologic Space Labs Research Station
The Biologic Space Labs research station, or B.S.L research station for short, is a research facility that orbits the planet SR388 managed by Biologic Space Labs, a biological research and development organization hired by the Galactic Federation. The new research station's main task is to gather and study organisms from different planets, namely Zebes and SR388. The station fell into a state of chaos however, due to the catastrophic threat posed by the X. Samus Aran is contracted to explore the research station for survivors and to attempt to salvage any of the station's work as a response to a distress beacon sent from the station.
Aboard the ship, Samus receives orders from a computerized correspondent for the Federation. Samus communicates with it using the several Navigation Rooms in the station. The Federation is able to research the parts removed from Samus's Power Suit and upload data for them as upgrades through various Data Rooms.
B.S.L Research[edit | edit source]
Though Biologic's research scope appears to be centered around the practical application of the species collected from various planets, mainly through militant means. B.S.L seems to have brought specimens from many planets for research, though their most important and interesting specimens are the Metroids contained in the Restricted Laboratory. The intent of research on the Metroids is unknown, though probably military use considering the similarities between this situation and the one in the Bottle Ships Sector Zero. Adam assures, however, that the Metroid research is only for peaceful application. The Bottle Ship also houses a powerful creature known as Nightmare, able to manipulate gravity. This creature is the only example of biological militarization of organisms on the B.S.L that the Federation has admitted to through Adam Though not explicitly stated, the research station may have researched Zebesian Space Pirates for military purposes like on the Bottle Ship considering that the X managed to mimic them aboard the station.
Areas in the Biologic Space Labs Research Station[edit | edit source]
The B.S.L station most primarily consists of the Main Deck which connects six other sectors. Each sector has a characteristic environment designed to accommodate for the species that dwell within them. Though the sectors are numbered, Samus does not visit the sectors in order, nor does their number appear to be of any significance.
Operations Deck[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Operations Deck
The Operations Room, the command post of the research station, lies within the Operations Deck. The Operations Deck is the highest point in the research station.
Habitation Deck[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Habitation Deck
The Habitation Deck is a special area on the research station hidden behind layers of locks. This area may have been designated for use by the researchers and crew members. The Etecoons and Dachoras use this area to hide from predation from the X.
Main Deck[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Main Deck
Sector 1 (SRX)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sector 1 (SRX)
Sector 1 (SRX) is the first sector Samus visits after the Main Deck when she arrives on the B.S.L research Station. SRX is a grassy, rocky area designed to mimic the environment of SR388, hence its name.
Sector 2 (TRO)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sector 2 (TRO)
Sector 3 (PYR)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sector 3 (PYR)
Sector 4 (AQA)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sector 4 (AQA)
Sector 4 (AQA) is an aquatic sector on the B.S.L station. The water in this sector becomes dangerous after the X attack the station, as it is constantly electrified by damaged electrical wiring. Much of the area can't be explored until Samus obtains the Gravity Suit, allowing Samus to use the Speed Booster underwater.
Sector 5 (ARC)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sector 5 (ARC)
Sector 5 (ARC) is a frozen, icy environment not unlike Phendrana. In an early section of this sector, Nightmare's shadow is seen passing over Samus. This sector is much safer to explore once Samus has obtained the Varia Suit, considering her Metroid DNA rejects the cold. This area is also home to the odd Blue X.
Sector 6 (NOC)[edit | edit source]
- Main article: Sector 6 (NOC)
Sector 6 (NOC) is an area under darkness, suitable for certain nocturnal species. This area abd Sector 5 are the only two areas where the Blue X can be found. Samus finds a passage to the Restricted Zone through this sector.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
- "...Tankfully, an auto-escape pod jettisoned me from the craft before the ship was destroyed. The researchers in the newly-constructed research station orbiting SR388 sent a shuttle to recover the pod shortly thereafter. However, in the time since my infection, the X had multiplied rapidly in my body and had even infected my Power Suit. ...The fact that the Power Suit contained biological components and was also integrally connected to my body seemed to worsen the matter. The Federation surgeons were unable to remove the suit while I was unconscious. Their only choice was to cut and remove parts of the infected suit from my still-conscious form; immediately after, they sent the suit parts to the Biologic Space Labs research station for study." Metroid Fusion Instruction Booklet, Pg 08-09
- "As you can see, the Federation has been secretly working on a Metroid breeding program. For peaceful application only, of course. Please understand. But perhaps you already knew of this program's existence? Certainly, you must have had doubts when you saw Sector 1. SRX, a faithful replica of the SR388 ecosystem... Ideal for raising Alpha, Gamma, Zeta, and even Omega Metroids. This research even uncovered techniques for rapid growth. Imagine...creating an Omega from a larval Metroid in days... But that research is finished. The X has smelled out its natural enemy, and one of the SA-X is on its way here..." —Adam Malkovich (Metroid Fusion)
- "It's gotten worse. The damage seems to have been caused by a creature kept here by the researchers, who named it... the Nightmare. Apparently, it was a bio-mechanical organism designed for military applications... It possesses uncommon power and can manipulate gravity. We must assume that it's become an X-host. We have no choice. You must find it and defeat it. I can't confirm the location." —Adam Malkovich (Metroid Fusion)
External Links[edit | edit source]
- Metroid Recon's Full Map of the BSL research station