After Samus frees the Chykka Larva from its cocoon, it will begin circling around her. It will occasionally jump into the air and spit a large ball of acid, allowing Samus to damage it. It will sometimes jump straight over the platform and spit a large blast of acid. The Larva may also jump onto the platform that Samus is on and attempt to grab onto her with its long tongue, becoming very vulnerable when it does. If Samus damages it enough it will become stunned then slowly slide back into the water, giving Samus further time to damage it.
After Samus damages Chykka enough, it will momentarily disappear before returning in its adult form. The Chykka Adult will attack Samus by ramming and by firing massive bursts of dark water. In order to damage it Samus must first stun it by using beam weapons; all Missile attacks will deflect off it if not stunned. After Samus stuns Chykka, its four wings will become vulnerable. Samus must use several Grapple Points to go around to behind the creature and damage the wings with either a Super Missile or the Seeker Missile. After inflicting critical damage to all four wings, Chykka will fall into the water, emerging as Dark Chykka.
Samus can only damage Dark Chykka by firing directly at its eggsac. It will spawn swarms of infant Chykka called Chykling from the eggsac. After Samus damages its eggsac enough Chykka will revert back to its normal Adult form. Once Samus damages Chykka's wings again, Chykka will again become Dark Chykka. The pattern repeats until Chykka's defeat.
- "Scans indicate that this bioform is an infant, but aging rapidly. The creature can ensnare targets with its tongue, drawing them into its mouth. It then covers its prey with acidic globs of biomatter to break it down for digestion. This is an exceptional bioform with both a dark and light nature." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Chykka has rapidly aged to its adult form. It will attack by firing high-powered bursts of dark water at rapid speed. If frustrated, it will attempt to dive and ram you. Most of the Chykka's body is vulnerable to weapons fire, but scans indicate that such fire will only stun it. When stunned, however, four weak spots will appear. These spots are vulnerable to attack: target them to damage the enemy." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Chykka has recovered, and energized its body with dark energy. This energy has rendered most of the creature immune to attack, including its wings. Tactical scans indicate that its eggsac is vulnerable, however. Target it to damage the creature." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Interaction with dark energy has mutated the Chykka. Its offspring are now born as flyers, skipping the larval stage completely. These infants are highly protective of their parent, and will streak to attack on sight. They lack their parent's durability, however, making them easy targets." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Target Chykka has been terminated. Lifesigns are at flatline. No regenerative ability in effect. No evidence of symbiotic corpse possession. Resurrection does not appear likely." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)