The Energy Controllers are part of a Luminoth Energy Control System used by the Luminoth to store and regulate the planetary energy on Aether as well as power a weather control system and a teleportation system. Since Aether is a rogue planet without a sun, it was necessary for the Luminoth to construct them to preserve Aether's energy and prevent the planet from dying. The Luminoth placed the primary energy controller in the Great Temple, then three sub-controllers in Agon, Torvus, and Sanctuary. After a Leviathan impact, Aether was thrown into a state of Transdimensional Flux and Dark Aether was formed, complete with its own energy controllers and half of Aether's planetary energy.
Samus uses the Energy Transfer Module to annex the Light of Aether from Energy Controllers on Dark Aether and restore it to the Energy Controllers in Aether's Temples.
The eight rooms that house energy controllers are the Main Energy Controller, Sky Temple Energy Controller, Agon Energy Controller, Dark Agon Energy Controller, Torvus Energy Controller, Dark Torvus Energy Controller, Sanctuary Energy Controller, and the Hive Energy Controller.
- "Energy Controllers were built by the Luminoth to regulate Aether's planetary energy. Several wonders are powered by the Energy Controllers, including a weather control grid and a teleportation system. When Dark Aether was born, it too had Energy Controllers, all linked to that world's planetary energy." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Luminoth Energy Control System online and active. Power flow at full and holding steady. Broadcast power system transmitting to all regions. Light-based teleportation system online." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Aether's planetary energy supply reached a critical stage. If left unchecked, the energy would expire, bringing an end to the world. Our greatest minds devised a way to preserve and regulate the remaining planetary energy - the Energy Controllers." —Luminoth Lore (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The main Energy Controller was built in the Great Temple: three sub-controllers were built in Torvus, Agon, and Sanctuary. They collected the energy of Aether, then radiated it over the world to all who needed it. In time we came to call this precious energy the "Light of Aether." It brought peace and prosperity to the Luminoth." —Luminoth Lore (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "In time, we created machines to open rifts to our enemy's world. Volunteer scouts went through the rifts and found a twisted world, harsh and poisonous...a Dark Aether. They discovered that this world held the missing half of our planet's energy. They also saw the true face of the enemy, a race we came to call "Ing," meaning terror. Our scouts could not survive long on the surface of Dark Aether, so venomous was its air. Still, we vowed to return. We prepared for war." —Luminoth Lore (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)