The G.F.S. Tyr is an Anhur-class Galactic Federation warship that was forced to land on Aether eight days prior to the events of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. The vessel's crew is made up of the GFMC Task Force Herakles Squad of Galactic Federation Troopers lead by Captain A. Exeter. Anhur-class warships are state-of-the-art Federation vessels, designed to police and defend planetary systems. During her visit on Aether Samus gets the rare opportunity to visit an Anhur-class ship.
Disaster on Aether
Once the Ing had eradicated most of the Luminoth on Aether the Space Pirates moved in to harvest the planet's Phazon resources. The Pirates themselves fell under attack by the Ing hordes and soon found themselves outnumbered. A convoy delivering reinforcements was shot down by the G.F.S. Tyr. In the conflict the Tyr was damaged, forcing the pilot, Commander K. Starling, to make an emergency landing on Aether. After the Federation lost contact with its Marines, Samus Aran was called in to investigate.
Upon investigation of the ship, Samus found that Tyr's crew had been killed by a swarm of Dark Splinters, leaving the ship in ruins. The Space Pirate ship that the Tyr engaged crash-landed in the Temple Grounds where it was later discovered by Samus.
Like most Federation vessels, the G.F.S. Tyr is named after a prominent figure in ancient Earth mythology. Among the ancient Norse, Tyr was the god of Single combat, portrayed as a one-handed man. He sacrificed his right hand to the jaws of the beast Fenrir so that his fellow gods could bind it with a magical ribbon.
- "The Anhur class is a state-of-the-art warship, designed to police and defend planetary systems. This ship, the G.F.S. Tyr, has been heavily damaged. It appears that the crew have dismantled parts of the Tyr as well, possibly for use as makeshift defense systems." — Logbook "G.F.S. Tyr" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Science teams detected the presence of Phazon in the Dasha system four cycles ago. High Command authorized the deployment of our team shortly thereafter. Our orders are to establish a base on planet Aether and evaluate local Phazon resources. Because this world lies on the periphery of Galactic Federation territory, we are following stealth protocols at the highest level. A cadre of elite Commandos has been dispatched to provide security for our force as well. This operation is now under way." —Space Pirate Log (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Intelligence reports on the indigenous population of Aether are in error. This planet is not at peace, nor are the inhabitants docile. Evidence of a class 4 conflict is present here, though hostilities are at a minimal level now. Our territory has suffered several raids by a strange type of shadowy creature. These raids have caused considerable damage, and we have requested more combat troops in response." —Space Pirate Log (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Another disaster. The transport bringing our reinforcements and supplies has been shot down. It was engaged in orbit by a Federation vessel, which has landed near the alien temple." —Space Pirate Log (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "While on patrol in the Dasha system, we engaged an unknown Space Pirate frigate. The enemy frigate was crippled, and it crashed on the planet Aether. We followed the Pirates, but our ship was damaged by a storm as we entered Aether's atmosphere." —Captain A. Exeter (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "--- Mission File 02543 --- 8 days ago, contact with Galatic Federation trooper squad Bravo was lost. --- Contract Agreement --- Locate Federation troopers and render assistance. --- Data Confirmation --- Last transmission received from a rogue planet located in the Dasha region called Aether." —Samus Mission File (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "PFC S. Milligan TROOPER
PFC E. Denys TROOPER
PFC U. McKalla TROOPER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "GSGT C. Benet 1ST TROOPER
SPC D. Senge ENGINEER
LCPL R. Vonda TROOPER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "SGT E. Monz 1ST TROOPER
SPC B. Reevs SCIENCE
SPC F. Triplette GUNNER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "LCDR T. Huxley MEDICAL OFFICER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "SPC M. Angseth COMMS
LCPL J. Brode TROOPER
PFC P. Wills TECH" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "PFC O. Grippe TECH
PFC X. Dominguez MEDIC
PFC G. Haley TROOPER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "1LT W. Smythe SQUAD LEADER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "PFC L. Brouda TROOPER
PFC M. Veroni TROOPER
PFC I. Crany TROOPER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "CDR K. Starling PILOT" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "CAPT A. Exeter COMMANDING OFFICER" —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)