Glacier One is the Space Pirate research outpost established in the Phendrana region in the mountains of Tallon IV. Though the frigid conditions of Phendrana sometimes caused malfunctions in security and the local predators caused casualties, the sub-zero temperatures were ideal for handling Metroid test subjects. Science Team conducted various experiments here, with emphasis put on Phazon-infusion and thermal imaging.
- Main article: Tallon Metroid
Metroids brought to Tallon IV on Frigate Orpheon were studied by Space Pirates who were interested in utilizing them as weapons or power sources. Phazon-infusion experiments began shortly after discovery of the mutagen, producing such mutated strains as Fission Metroids and Hunter Metroids.
- Main article: Project Titan
Space Pirates began experimentation on inanimate objects with Phazon radiation with the goal of mutating them to sentience, code-named Project Titan. Experimentation on Phazon Ore resulted in the creature Thardus, which became so violent that the Space Pirates eventually suspended the project indefinitely.
- Main article: Project Helix
Promising results with Phazon-infusion in other test subjects tempted the Space Pirates to begin infusing the mutagen into their own DNA. Initial infusion in embryos were disastrous, causing severe mental degeneration, but successful mutations of Parasites using a Phazon strain known as Vertigo, discovered by Research Team Sclera, led to infusion of Space Pirates with it. After tangible results were achieved, the project was moved to the Phazon Mines.
- Main article: Thermal Visor
When the Space Pirates were working to tame Thardus, they realized that weakness in the Phazon Ore that made up its structure could be detected using Thermal Imaging. With the aim of using it to eventually conjure solutions to those structural flaws, the Space Pirates began Thermal Imaging research with great success.
- "Research outpost Glacier One in Phendrana Drifts region of Tallon IV's mountains is operating at 85% capacity. Sub-zero temperatures have made the Metroids sluggish and easy to control, even those well into Phazon infusion cycles. Cold containment status are sufficient for the juveniles, but some of the larger Metroids have been moved to quarantine caves for safety purposes. Security doors remain an issue, as malfunctions due to ice occur everyday. Large predators in the wastes are also a concern, as they continue to kill personnel and breach secure areas. Unfortunately, it has become clear that our containment teams cannot neutralize all of them without a vast increase of munitions and soldiers." —Pirate Data "Glacial Wastes" (Metroid Prime)
- "Zebes has fallen. All ground personnel are presumed dead, either killed by the Hunter clad in metal or in the subsequent destruction of the underground facilities. Our research frigates Orpheon, Siriacus and Vol Paragom were in orbit at zero hour and managed to retreat. Frigate Orpheon is now docked at Vortex Outpost. Orpheon's cargo appears to have a 100% survival rate; Metroids are healthy but on restricted feeding schedules due to uncertain supply status. We are ready to begin research on the Metroids and other promising life-forms. Security status remains at Code Blue; no signs of pursuit from the Hunter." —Pirate Data "Fall of Zebes" (Metroid Prime)
- "Project Titan specimen is immobilized in Quarantine Cave. Relocation is recommended due to increased violent activity." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Project Titan is suspended indefinitely. Security breaches resulting in massive casualties have occurred. Access is strictly prohibited until further notice." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Confidence is high regarding Phazon applications. We know enough about Phazon now to begin combining it with Space Pirate DNA. The code name for this venture will be 'Project Helix'. Preliminary studies indicate that Phazon infusion could produce radical Pirate genomes. Benevolent mutation levels are high in current test subjects. Phazon madness is a concern, but refinements in the infusion process should reduce or neutralize the the odds of mental degeneration." —Pirate Data "Phazon Infusion" (Metroid Prime)
- "Initial Project Helix experiments with Space Pirate embryos were disastrous. The Phazon-infusion process degenerated brain tissue even as it augmented muscle mass. None of what termed Elite Pirates lived to maturity; the few that survived their infanthood suffered severe psychotic breakdowns as juveniles, killing anything within their zone of perception. Research team Sclera made a recent breakthrough, in which parasite studies with a Phazon strain code-named Vertigo were highly successful. Since then we have successful fused Vertigo Phazon with Space Pirate DNA with great success. The latest batch of Elite Pirates have reached maturity successfully and are ready for field testing and training." —Pirate Data "Elite Pirates" (Metroid Prime)
- "Although the armor-like qualities of this shell provide ample protection, Thermal Imaging can be used to detect weak areas in the casing." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Improvements must be made to this shell in the event that these weaknesses are found by aggressors." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Imaging research is being conducted in the containment Vault area of this facility." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)