Industrial-Grade Pesticide is a powerful gaseous biocide utilized by the Galactic Federation. During the events of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the stranded Marines of GFMC Task Force Herakles used this pesticide to eliminate Splinters that had been possessed by the Ing.
The marines converted several ventilation system parts to dispense pesticide, and the chemical was proving an effective means of decreasing the Splinter population. Concerns about locking mechanisms failing while baiting Splinters into pesticide traps were valid, however; three troopers were lost when a gate failed to open while they were attempting to draw Splinters into a gas trap.
- "Terminated bioform scan complete. Codex genome match: Splinter. Source of termination: inhalation of industrial-grade pesticide. Toxic elements still present in local atmosphere. Maintain suit lockdown for effective life support." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Object scan complete. Device is part of a ventilation system, converted to dispense pesticide. System is still active. Pesticide supply at 13% and dropping." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Ventilation system conversion complete. Dispensing of pesticide has commended. Pesticide is proving effective. Hostile forces decreasing in number, though still at critical numbers." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "There's something wrong with the lock systems in this section. They've failed twice, locking us out until someone came along to let us in. If it happens again while we're playing "bait" for those things...well, at least we'll go out fighting, instead of hiding in the control area." —Trooper Logs "GTSC C. Benet" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Casualty report, sector A. Three troopers lost. They were unable to open Gate A1 when a gas trap was engaged, and could not escape to safety. Lock malfunction is to blame." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)