Light of Aether
The Light of Aether is a collection of planetary energy gathered by the Luminoth of the planet Aether. It is comprised of various types of energy including solar, bio, and geothermal, and is stored in Luminoth constructed devices called Energy Controllers.
When Aether's planetary energy supply reached a critical stage during the Luminoth Golden Age, the Energy Controllers were built as a means to preserve and regulate the remaining energy. The Main Energy Controller was built in the Great Temple of the Temple Grounds, and three sub-controllers were built in the temples in Agon Wastes, Torvus Bog, and Sanctuary Fortress. The energy allocated to each region is somehow bound to the land to which it belongs, and cannot leave that area or its dark counterpart. The Light of Aether is used to power the Luminoth Energy Control System, which includes a planet-wide weather-grid and a Light-Based Teleportation System.
When a stellar object impacted Aether and sent the planet into a state of Transdimensional Flux, the planetary energy was divided between Aether and its dark twin. In an attempt to recover this energy and end a war in which they were outnumbered, the Luminoth constructed a device capable of harvesting the Light of Aether from the dark Energy Controllers called the Energy Transfer Module. After an unsuccessful siege on the Ing's Sky Temple, the Energy Transfer Module capable of harvesting this precious planetary energy was stolen by the Ing and used against the Luminoth to annex their Light of Aether, pushing the planet to the verge of collapse. The Energy Transfer Module becomes fused with Samus's suit and with it she is able to recover the stolen energy.
Because the Light of Aether is the means by which the planet is preserved and the Luminoth way of life is maintained, this planetary energy is, unsurprisingly, at the core of Luminoth culture. It is credited in Luminoth Lore with bringing peace and prosperity to the Luminoth. Furthermore, Luminoth parting expressions of goodwill typically wish upon the recipient the aid of the inanimate Light of Aether; this veneration of inanimate natural forces may be an indication of a belief system that revolves around the Light of Aether.
The Emperor Ing taking the final Light of Aether
Samus approaching the final Light of Aether in the Sky Temple
- "Chamber holds a collection of several types of energy. Notable types include solar, bio, and geothermal energy. Unable to measure exact power levels with current scan equipment." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Aether's planetary energy supply reached a critical stage. If left unchecked, the energy would expire, bringing an end to the world. Our greatest minds devised a way to preserve and regulate the remaining planetary energy - the Energy Controllers." —Luminoth Lore "Saving Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Energy Controllers were built by the Luminoth to regulate Aether's planetary energy. Several wonders are powered by the Energy Controllers, including a weather control grid and a teleportation system. When Dark Aether was born, it too had Energy Controllers, all linked to that world's planetary energy." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The main Energy Controller was built in the Great Temple: three sub-controllers were built in Torvus, Agon, and Sanctuary. They collected the energy of Aether, then radiated it over the world to all who needed it. In time we came to call this precious energy the "Light of Aether". It brought peace and prosperity to the Luminoth." —Luminoth Lore "Light of Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The energy of Agon cannot leave the land it is bound to. Return the energy to the Agon Temple." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "In time, we created machines to open rifts to our enemy's world. Volunteer scouts went through the rifts and found a twisted world, harsh and poisonous...a Dark Aether. They discovered that this world held the missing half of our planet's energy. They also saw the true face of the enemy, a race we came to call "Ing", meaning terror. Our scouts could not survive long on the surface of Dark Aether, so venomous was its air. Still, we vowed to return. We prepared for war." —Luminoth Lore "Dark Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "We were not prepared to fight a long war. The forces of the enemy outnumbered ours vastly. We sought a way to end the war quickly, without extended combat. We decided to build a device to recover our lost planetary energy from Dark Aether. Without this energy, the dark world would cease to be, and our world would be restored to stability." —Luminoth Lore "Recovering Energy" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "While our forces on Dark Aether fought desperate battles against superior numbers, our best minds completed their work. The Energy Transfer Module, a device designed to recover our lost planetary energy, was ready at last. A force of our greatest warriors was assembled, each equipped with the best armor and weaponry available. We sent this brave cadre of fighters to invade the Sky Temple and seize the missing energy lying within." —Luminoth Lore "The Final Crusade" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "None of the warriors sent to the Sky Temple returned. Our forces searched Dark Aether for them, in vain. Of the Energy Transfer Module, there was no sign. Though saddened, we set out to prepare another mission, to build another module, to try once more to save our dying world." —Luminoth Lore "Shattered Hope" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Before you arrived, the Ing had stolen a device from us…one that collects planetary energy. With it, they have weakened our planet to the verge of collapse." —U-Mos (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "A massive Ing attack came to the land of Agon. Soon, the Temple of Agon was surrounded by the Horde, with no hope of salvation. Our gallant warriors there were slain, and Agon fell to the enemy. Our blood chilled when we learned that the energy within that temple was drained. The Ing had found the Energy Transfer Module, and were using it as a weapon against us." —Luminoth Lore "Agon Falls" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "But fortune smiled upon us this day, for the Energy Transfer Module…is now bonded with you. With it, you can help us…help us restore our world." —U-Mos (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "May the Light of Aether serve you well!" —I-Sha (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Good hunting, and may the Light of Aether guide your aim." —A-Voq (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Good luck. Let the Light of Aether show you the way!" —O-Lir (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)