Luminoth Golden Age
The Golden Age of the Luminoth began when the Luminoth, moved by the example of enlightened species they had met while traveling amidst the stars, began searching for a world to call their own. A suitable home was so elusive that many began to despair and considered remaining among the stars indefinitely, but eventually a scout returned with news of a paradisaic planet called Aether, and the Luminoth forsook the stars to live on its surface. That scout was X-Qar, and she became the first Sentinel of Aether.
Aether was a fertile, bountiful planet, with native creatures that were gentle compared to those the Luminoth had found on other worlds. They made their first settlements in the mountainous region founded by E-Btr, and later expanded their domain into the forests of Torvus and the plains of Agon. In the center of their dominion, the Luminoth constructed the Great Temple as a monument to their accomplishments.
Aether was a rogue planet without a sun, probably ejected from its original solar system, and as a result its planetary energy gradually began to dwindle, threatening the planet's existence. To prevent this from happening, the greatest minds of the Luminoth used their advanced technology to build the Energy Controllers to preserve and regulate what planetary energy was left. The main Energy Controller was built in the Great Temple, and three sub-controllers were constructed in the temples of Agon, Torvus, and Sanctuary. These Energy Controllers collected the planetary energy, in time called the "Light of Aether," and radiated it all over the world, heralding an era of peace and prosperity. The Luminoth interlinked the Energy Controllers through an Energy Control system, which in turn powered such innovations as a planet-wide weather grid and a Light-Based Teleportation System.
The Sentinel X-Qar was eventually succeeded by Q-Cis, the first Sentinel born on Aether, and Q-Cis was succeeded by V-Mos. The Golden Age of the Luminoth ended during the time J-Gnk, the fourth Sentinel of Aether, protected the planet, when a stellar object hurdled through the system and collided with the planet. This catastrophic event heralded a Dark Age in Luminoth history on Aether.
- "It is told that the Luminoth were not born of Aether, but of the stars. In the early days, we roamed the greatness of the void, bathing in the glorious light of a thousand stars. We met a vast number of enlightened minds... the N'kren, the Ylla, and the Chozo among them. Each of them, we found, had claimed a homeworld and formed a deep bond with it. In time, we decided to do the same." —Luminoth Lore "Origins" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Our search for a home took us through the cosmos. For many a great cycle we roamed, yet a place to call our own eluded us. In time, we began to despair, feeling the search was in vain. We considered remaining among the stars until a scout returned with news of a world unlike any other. When we beheld Aether for the first time, so great was her beauty that we forsook the stars forever to live upon her surface. From that day forth, the Luminoth were of Aether, our blessed paradise." —Luminoth Lore "Our Heritage" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of X-Qar, the first Sentinel of Aether. It was X-Qar who discovered the world of Aether, and led her people to settle on its wondrous surface." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Aether was a fertile, aged world with bountiful fields and oceans. The native creatures were gentle compared to the other worlds we had encountered." —Luminoth Lore "Paradise" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of E-Btr, the founder of Sanctuary. He lived for nearly 5 centicycles, and died in hand-to-hand combat during the first Ing attacks." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "We settled in a mountain region first, in cliffside dwellings. In time, we established settlements in the green forest of Torvus and in the fertile plains of Agon." —Luminoth Lore "Paradise" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "A Great Temple was built between our three domains, a place of peace and a monument to our accomplishments. It was a time of harmony for our people." —Luminoth Lore "Paradise" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Last transmission received from a rogue planet located in the Dasha region called Aether." —Samus Mission File (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Aether's planetary energy supply reached a critical stage. If left unchecked, the energy would expire, bringing an end to the world." —Luminoth Lore "Saving Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Our greatest minds devised a way to preserve and regulate the remaining planetary energy - the Energy Controllers." —Luminoth Lore "Saving Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The main Energy Controller was built in the Great Temple: three sub-controllers were built in Torvus, Agon, and Sanctuary." —Luminoth Lore "Light of Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "They collected the energy of Aether, then radiated it over the world to all who needed it. In time we came to call this precious energy the "Light of Aether". It brought peace and prosperity to the Luminoth." —Luminoth Lore "Light of Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Luminoth Energy Control System online and active. Power flow at full and holding steady. Broadcast power system transmitting to all regions." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Energy Controllers were built by the Luminoth to regulate Aether's planetary energy. Several wonders are powered by the Energy Controllers, including a weather control grid and a teleportation system." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of Q-Cis, the second Sentinel of Aether. Q-Cis was the first Sentinel born on Aether, and protected the planet for three centicycles." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "By the time we detected the stellar object as it streaked toward our world, it was too late to stop it. We fired numerous weapons at it in a vain attempt to alter its trajectory. Nothing worked. Our efforts placed a great strain on the Energy Controllers, and weakened Aether. All we could do as the object drew closer was take shelter and wait. We gathered stores of food and water, reinforced the shielding on our dwellings, and spent the last hours in peace." —Luminoth Lore "The Stellar Object" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The starborne terror burnt through the heavens and struck Aether with and untold might. We all expected the world to shatter...but Aether held. There was great devastation, however. The green plains of Agon were scorched forever, and the forest of Torvus was engulfed and wracked by the sea. The skies burned for days, casting darkness over the land." —Luminoth Lore "Cataclysm" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)