Phazon Ore is a rock extracted through mining that binds through Phazon energy. It's extremely durable and blast-resistant, leading Space Pirates on Tallon IV to use it in various experiments, most notably Project Titan. The Space Pirates' Thardus venture was composed completely of Phazon Ore. Although formidable, weakness in its casing could be detected through Thermal Imaging, prompting the Pirates to conduct Thermal Imaging experiments in Glacier One of Phendrana Drifts.
Presumably, all planets impacted by Leviathans contain various types of Phazon, including Phazon Ore.
Space Pirates, under the instruction of Dark Samus, began mining Phazon Ore from their own Pirate Homeworld. There are many mining drills found throughout the Pirates' base. Samus uses one of these drills to mine through Phazon Ore and create a Half Pipe structure.
- "Phazon ore appears to bind through Phazon energy. Thermal Imaging is required to detect the highest concentration of radioactivity, which serves to bind the stones together." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon ore is extremely durable and blast-resistant." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Quarantine specimen exhibits highly aggressive behavior. Its body structure, composed of Phazon ore, appears nearly invulnerable. This has rendered our efforts to train and discipline subject useless." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Imaging research is being conducted in the Containment Vault area of this facility." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Although the armor-like qualities of this shell provide ample protection, Thermal Imaging can be used to detect weak areas in the casing. Improvements must be made to this shell in the event that these weaknesses are found by aggressors." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Can't determine origin of Aether's "dark twin." Contains high levels of Phazon ore. Native bioforms attack on sight." —Logbook Entry (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)