|This article is about the green, piercing beam familiar in 2D games. For red, super hot beam, see Plasma Beam (Metroid Prime series).|
The Plasma Beam is a Chozo-designed upgrade to Samus's Arm Cannon. The powerful beam gives Samus's beam a much stronger blast and grants it the ability to pierce through any number of foes, dealing a large amount of damage to multiple targets at once. It is one of the most powerful beam weapons in Samus's entire arsenal.
The Plasma Beam has the ability to pass through enemies allowing it to hit multiple targets, this effect is also carried over when it is stacked with other weapons. In Metroid II, the Plasma Beam can also travel through walls, giving it the same effect as the Wave Beam..
The SA-X uses a combination of the beams Samus had previously obtained, the Ice Beam, Wave Beam, and Plasma Beam.
Nettori's Plasma Beam behaves slightly different from Samus's. It still has its piercing ability, but Nettori is able to hold it in place for a few moments, functioning much like a solid.
The green Plasma Beam was initially granted to Samus on her first mission to the planet she was raised on, Zebes. Although she found the relic containing the Plasma Beam in Crateria, she was unable to use or even identify it, like the Gravity Suit and Space Jump. It wasn't until a weakened Zero Suit Samus defeated the Chozo Ruins Test that she obtains the Legendary Power Suit and is able to make use of the heavy Plasma Beam.
Armed with the Plasma Beam, Samus enters the Bottle Ship to fight the threat of bio-weapons alongside the other members of the 07th Platoon. She doesn't use the Plasma Beam, however, until she faces off against a fully mature clone of Ridley in Sector 3 (Pyrosphere).
The X rob Samus of her Plasma Beam along with other Chozo upgrades, meaning that the SA-X is fully armed with the powerful beam. While attempting to restore power to the Reactor Core, Samus comes across Kihunters and heavy vegetation trapping the entire Reactor Silo area. Samus finds that the statue Nettori resembling a Chozo Statue is the source of the rapidly growing vegetation. Nettori is an X armed with the Plasma Beam, and uses it to attempt to ward Samus off. Samus manages to defeat it and break the Hard Core-X, allowing Samus to absorb the X and regain her Plasma Beam ability.
Metroid: Zero Mission
"This powerful beam can blast through multiple enemies."
Metroid: Other M
"Beam now pierces enemies."
- "This beam passes through enemies, hitting multiple targets." Metroid Fusion Instruction Booklet, Pg 32
- "The most powerful of all the beams can destroy several targets at once." Super Metroid Instruction Booklet, Pg 23
- "This extremely powerful weapon fires a beam that can even penetrate the solid walls. It is the strongest and most destructive of all of the beam type items." Metroid II: Return of Samus Instruction Booklet, Pg 22
- "Gives Samus' beam the ability to pass through enemies. This most powerful beam can also be shot as a Charge Beam" Metroid: Other M Instruction Booklet, Pg 23
- "This powerful beam can blast through multiple enemies." —Inventory Data (Metroid: Zero Mission)