Portals are dimensional anomalies from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes. They are found on Aether and Dark Aether and act as gateways between the two dimensions. Most of them were created when a Leviathan struck the surface of Aether, creating its dark twin. Samus often uses them to travel from Aether to Dark Aether and vice versa while on her quest to save the Luminoth, making them extremely important.
The Portals were created when a Leviathan struck the surface of Aether and sent the planet into a state of Transdimensional Flux. The division of Aether into two dimensions caused several spatial rifts between it and Dark Aether, through which the Ing began to travel, eventually leading to war. This led the Luminoth to create machines to artificially generate Portals to take them to Dark Aether.
A group of Space Pirates arrived on Aether some time later in pursuit of Phazon. They discovered an interdimensional Portal and a Luminoth weapon in their base of operations, but the Space Pirates were unable to activate them at first. Once the Pirates activated the Dark Beam and used it in conjunction with the Portal to send expeditions to Dark Aether, they found that Dark Aether had even greater stores of Phazon than the dimension in which they currently operated. They used the Portals at length in order to perform Phazon extraction raids.
Samus Aran first encounters a Portal when she travels to Aether in search of Squad Bravo. While in Hive Chamber B, she follows Dark Samus through a temporary Dark Portal and stumbles into the dark world, where several Warrior Ing steal her equipment before she narrowly escapes. As she travels across Aether in an effort to repel the Ing, Samus uses these Portals to travel to Dark Aether and recover the stolen Light of Aether.
After the defeat of the Emperor Ing and the demise of Dark Aether, the Portals vanish.
Samus encounters two types of naturally occurring Portals, called Rifts: white-colored portals found on the surface of Dark Aether known as Light Portals, and black-colored portals found on the surface of Aether known as Dark Portals. Before being energized, Rifts are inactive and cannot transit matter. When a Portal is energized, by means of Light Energy on Light Portals and Dark Energy on Dark Portals, the Portal temporarily becomes stable enough to transport matter through the Interdimensional Void.
Some Rifts can be accessed from the surface of both worlds, while others are only accessible traveling in one direction. The majority of these Rifts are constant, though some appear intermittently, to be used only one time.
Samus also encounters three Portal Generators built by the Luminoth, one in each area of Aether, that create artificial gateways to and from Dark Aether. The Portal in Agon Wastes requires solar energy refracted through a series of industrial lenses to provide power to the Portal dynamo. The other two Portals, however, have no visually apparent power source. An interactive console on the Portal Generators can be scanned to initiate Portal fabrication.
These generators are also equipped with safety systems that prevent travel through the Portals if the threshold on the other end is obstructed in such a way that rematerialization is impossible.
- "The starborne terror burnt through the heavens and struck Aether with and untold might. We all expected the world to shatter...but Aether held. There was great devastation, however. The green plains of Agon were scorched forever, and the forest of Torvus was engulfed and wracked by the sea. The skies burned for days, casting darkness over the land." —Luminoth Lore "Cataclysm" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Amidst this turmoil, we discovered many anomalies. Spacial disturbances appeared across the land. Object went into a state of dimensional flux, their atoms divided between Aether and...somewhere else. There was little time to ponder these strange happenings, for we had to deal with the devastation of our lands." —Luminoth Lore "The World Warped" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The day came when space was torn asunder, revealing dimensional rifts to a dark place. Horrible dark swarms streaked forth from these rifts, engulfing nearby creatures and transforming them into what we could come to call darklings. The dark creatures became our enemies, and peace came to an end on Aether." —Luminoth Lore "The Ing Attack" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "In time, we created machines to open rifts to our enemy's world. Volunteer scouts went through the rifts and found a twisted world, harsh and poisonous...a Dark Aether. They discovered that this world held the missing half of our planet's energy. They also saw the true face of the enemy, a race we came to call "Ing", meaning terror. Our scouts could not survive long on the surface of Dark Aether, so venomous was its air. Still, we vowed to return. We prepared for war." —Luminoth Lore "Dark Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Science teams have discovered the presence of Phazon in the Dasha system four cycles ago. High command authorized the deployment of our team shortly thereafter. Our orders are to establish a base on planet Aether and evaluate local Phazon resources. Because this world lies on the periphery of Galactic Federation territory, we are following stealth protocols at the highest level. A cadre of elite commandos has been dispatched to provide security for our force as well. This operation is now under way." —Space Pirate Logs "Phazon Bounty" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "A spatial anomaly has been found within our base. We believe this rift in space-time leads to a parallel dimension of some type, but have been unable to interact with it thus far. A strange artifact was found near the anomaly as well. It may be a weapon or generator of some kind: perhaps it is the key to accessing the anomaly. High Command is eager for reports on the relic. A new weapon for our arsenal is always welcome." —Space Pirate Logs "Great Discoveries" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Rift Portal has been opened. The artifact weapon, dubbed the "Dark Beam" by science team, provides energy needed to open the portal, although for a limited time. We've sent expeditions through the portal, and they have returned with incredible news. The portal leads to a parallel version of Aether. This "Dark Aether" has suffered a global calamity, turning it into a toxic wasteland. It is the homeworld of the shadowy creature who have been raiding our base for the last cycle. Most importantly, it is the prime location of Phazon in this sector. Extraction plans are being prepared. We will not be denied!" —Space Pirate Logs "Rift Portal" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Phazon extraction raids are under way on Dark Aether. The toxicity of the atmosphere has taken a toll on our workforce, as have the hostile natives of that world. Science Team is preparing survival gear to protect our work teams, and we have increased our security presence in extraction areas. Fortunately, High Command is sending more troops and supplies. Our troops and resources are spread dangerously thin, and this mission cannot fail." —Space Pirate Logs "Phazon Raids" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Mechanical analysis complete. Portal dynamo offline. Configure lens system to focus solar power on dynamo. This will energize the system." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Mechanical analysis complete. Solar dynamo online. Dimensional portal system energized." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "System analysis complete. Console used to energize and open a portal to Dark Aether, currently online. Portal generation system initiated." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "System analysis complete. Portal is online, but unstable. Security system active. Portal use is currently impossible due to safety measures in place on the system." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Dark Portals allow living beings to travel to Dark Aether without being scattered throughout the interdimensional void. They are unstable, however, and only remain viable for limited periods of time. Some can be reactivated, while others vanish forever once they are used." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Dark Portal" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Light Portals allow living beings to travel to Aether without being scattered throughout the interdimensional void. They are unstable, however, and only remain viable for limited periods of time. Some can be reactivated, while others vanish forever once they are used." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Light Portal" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Unknown dimensional anomaly. Anomaly seems to be a dimensional rift. Target destination unknown." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "System analysis complete. Console used to energize and open a portal to Dark Aether, currently offline. Restore power to the system to enable portal creation." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This portal is active. Walk into the portal to transport to Dark Aether. Extreme caution recommended once transit is complete." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes]])
- "This rift portal is inactive. The portal field can be energized with dark energy. Walk into energized portal to transport to Dark Aether." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This rift portal is inactive. The portal field can be energized with light energy. Walk into energized portal to transport to Aether." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "To travel between the two worlds, Samus must utilize portals. Samus will have to activate most of them with a shot from either the Dark or Light Beam, or by scanning nearby equipment. Navigating the mazelike areas of both worlds will depend on jumping back and forth through these portals, solving puzzles on both worlds, so remember where each of them is and utilize them frequently." mp2 Instruction Booklet, Pg 15
- "These are the doors that connect the two worlds. When you find and start up the Light and Dark portals, Samus will be able to travel between the two worlds." mpt Instruction Booklet, Pg 29