Metroid in Super Smash Bros. Melee
Metroid has appeared in every Super Smash Bros. game to date, including Super Smash Bros. Melee. In addition to Samus Aran's appearance as a playable character, other references include character and enemy cameos, stages based on Metroid locations, items and music from the series, and various trophies of Metroid elements.
- Samus Aran returns as a veteran fighter in Melee with the same five color palettes available in Super Smash Bros. Her arsenal includes the same weapons as in the previous installment, with the addition of Missiles.
- Planet Zebes: Brinstar appears as a stage for combat, inspired by the original Brinstar area. In many ways it's nearly identical to the Planet Zebes stage from Super Smash Bros., complete with an acid hazard. The large fleshy organism in the background is shaped like a brain, perhaps a tip of the hat to Mother Brain, or even a rudimentary image of her.
- Planet Zebes: Brinstar Depths is the second Metroid-themed stage in Melee, loosely inspired by Kraid area. Kraid appears in the background of this stage, spinning the central platform occasionally during battles, but otherwise the stage bears little resemblance to any areas of Brinstar in the Metroid games.
- The Brinstar Escape Shaft appears briefly in the 1-player adventure mode, possibly inspired by a similar shaft in Super Metroid. In this level the character being used at the time must ascend to the top of a large underground shaft using multiple metal platforms within a set time limit.
- The Screw Attack was introduced in Melee as the first Metroid-themed item. The item can be held, adding a spin to a character's normal jumps that inflict minor damage, or thrown at an opponent, causing them in execute a spinning jump as a disruption tactic.
Music from the Metroid series included in this game include tracks 7, 8, and 41.
- 7: Brinstar plays on the Brinstar stage and is a medley of a remixed Brinstar theme, the "game start" fanfare heard when one resumes a gamefile in the original Metroid, and the original Metroid title theme.
- 8: Brinstar Depths plays on the Brinstar Depths stage and is a remix of the music heard in the original Metroid when Samus is about to combat Kraid and a short bridge consisting of the item room music in the same game.
- 41: Samus's Victory is an orchestration of the item acquisition fanfare and is used as Samus's victory fanfare.
- Main article: Metroid SSBM Trophies