Metroid Wiki:Discussion Center
Welcome to the Metroid Wiki Discussion Center! This is basically your feedback area: where all users can ask Wiki-related questions to the staff and other senior community figures, who will do their best to give an answer. Having troubles with getting something in the Wiki to work, or have a suggestion for the staff? Ask everything here!
Please fully examine the Help Guide first to see if your issue isn't already answered there. If it is not then please check the Table of Contents to see if your issue has already been raised. Otherwise, go ahead and create a new section with your question. To facilitate ease of browsing and replying, please:
- Place your question at the bottom of the list
- Place the title of your question == between pairs of equals signs ==
- Remember to always sign your posts with name, date and time (by adding: ~~~~)
MediaWiki update 1.23.0
Report any issues below!!
- All the headers in articles, on talk pages, on the sidebar, and on the RC are black. They should be white. :)
- —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 00:14, 12 June 2014 (UTC)
I was looking into fixing up the infobox css and noticed there's already a css class setup in MediaWiki:Common.css for the infobox. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's used very much. I did a search and it seems like there are a lot of different infobox templates. Should they all look the same (300px width, identical colouring, borders), or do they have deeper complexities than that? Could we tackle them one by one, activate the common infobox stylings, and then clean it up and refine it till it looks good? Where should we start? -- Prod (talk) 05:00, 15 June 2014 (UTC)
- I'm not the master infobox maker here, but as far as I know the only things that change from infobox to infobox are the parameters (game, planet, vulnerabilities, family, voice actor, etc), with the exception of the infoboxes made specifically for each GAME (which have different background images). Other than that I'm pretty sure they all look and function the same way. (A few may also add categories. Not sure.)
- So I'm all for creating a more uniform system. Whatever you guys decide is the best way to go about it, I'm willing to be a drone to help implement. —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 17:09, 15 June 2014 (UTC)
- I've got a bot that can take care of changes, and most of it should only be in the templates themselves, so that shouldn't be a problem. Which do you think is a good infobox to start with? Perhaps, something that is used in only a few locations. (I fixed the link above for the infobox category). -- Prod (talk) 18:00, 15 June 2014 (UTC)
- Template:Console-infobox and Template:Company-infobox are only used on three articles each. Those would probably work well. —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 18:53, 16 June 2014 (UTC)
Resizing GIF files
I'm not sure if this is a MediaWiki related issue, but I know something similar has come up in the past: When I tried to resize the gif file in the Draygon article infobox, the image wouldn't show up in the preview. The |thumb parameter worked, and it displayed fine without any resize parameters at all, but using |150px or the like generated blank images. Any idea what might be causing this? —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 18:45, 17 June 2014 (UTC)
Can someone tack a whack at fixing the Trophy Template? The "NavHeader" needs to remain round and not be changed to roundt because when the "hide" function is toggled it looks ugly otherwise. But when it's set to round it doesn't fit inside the nav borders the same way the other cells do. Check out the talk page for all the gory details. Thanks! —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 21:26, 25 June 2014 (UTC)
Wiki Coverage of Smash Bros.
Ok, here's something that I think needs to come up again. Should we be covering all the Super Smash Bros. games? I don't think it's relevant to have long lists of characters that have nothing to do with the Metroidverse on badly written articles on a Metroid wiki. Check out this category for some of the pages in question. I say we kill them all, or merge most of them into brief synopses with links to the wikis that should be covering them (like SmashWiki and MarioWiki, for example). Thoughts? —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 03:26, 14 September 2014 (UTC)
- I think either we just get rid of the game pages completely and stick to Metroid in the Super Smash Bros. Series, or we keep one page for each game (just like the Metroid games) but keep the content to a minimum. I'm not too sure if Sticker and Trophy are within scope here though. Also, I think we should make it obvious which links are external links, maybe with icons beside them. -- Prod (talk) 22:32, 20 September 2014 (UTC)
- Let's do what the Zelda Wiki (my home wiki :P) did. They made pages for each game, the series itself, glitches, hacks, items, and characters, but tended to talk mostly about its relationship with Zelda. But, they kept everything short and simple, and reminded the reader that the Smash Wiki had more in-depth articles. Does that sound good? — Phaazonian (Talk) 16:55, 29 September 2014 (UTC)
- I'm all for killing the Sticker and Trophy pages and merging that content into the Metroid in the Super Smash Bros. Series article. Honestly, I feel like this Wiki is struggling as it is just to get the Metroid series covered and the Smash articles are a waste of resources and time. We have a whole SmashWiki dedicated to it, as well as the powerhouses like Mario Wiki which are covering it too (though I don't really know why. It isn't exactly a Mario game, is it? By the same logic, why would a Metroid Wiki have a page with a list of Smash characters?).
- The general consensus seems to be that we merge everything. If there aren't any objections, I'm thinking a good way to do this, rather than make separate articles for each game and the series, is to merge ALL of that content into just one article. Super Smash Bros. (game), Super Smash Bros. Melee, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl, as well as Super Smash Bros. (series), Sticker, and Trophy could all redirect to Metroid in the Super Smash Bros. Series, where we'd have a nice synopsis of everything, and then just stick to Metroid. Cuz let's get real, if anyone is coming to Metroid Wiki it all it isn't to read about Smash Bros. Any comments? —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 01:46, 30 September 2014 (UTC)
So I completely revamped the Metroid in the Super Smash Bros. Series page and merged all the information onto it from the other pages. If everyone likes the look of it and there are no objections, I'll redirect all the other pages to that one (Or delete them, if they're irrelevant), probably on Friday. I realize that the page is pretty huge; I personally don't have a problem with it the way it is right now, but if anyone doesn't like the size we could divvy it up into Metroid in (game) rather than Metroid in (series). But like I said, that might not be necessary. —Embyr 75 --Talk-- 22:34, 1 October 2014 (UTC)
- I looks quite nice, it may be better to split it into multiple articles in my opinion. The new Smash Bros. content will add a lot to the page. The only other thing I think it needs is some better interwiki links. I'll have some time to take care of it this weekend, probably will make templates for all NIWA wikis. MK 04:14, 2 October 2014 (UTC)
Wave of account creations
I checked the IP of several of the new users at random and there is no match between any of them. It's pretty reasonable to say that these are spam creations, would there by a way to make it tougher for these to get through? MK 04:02, 25 October 2014 (UTC)