Spinners are puzzle devices in the Metroid Prime series. These devices are activated in conjunction with the Boost Ball upgrade to either activate generator belts through rotational force, in Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, or to generate kinetic energy, in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption. These devices serve a variety of purposes, from moving objects to activating machines. They act as a barrier to Samus throughout the games, forcing her to acquire the Boost Ball upgrade before progressing. She can disengage herself from any spinner device prematurely using a Morph Ball Bomb.
In Metroid Prime, spinners are used to adjust the position of a variety of devices in Magmoor Caverns, the Glacier One research facility in Phendrana Drifts, and the Phazon Mines. Samus uses spinner devices to lower bridges, aim mining drills, and active the nodes of a projector, among other things.
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, spinners mimic the functionality of their Prime predecessors. They are used extensively in the technologically advanced Sanctuary Fortress region, but are also found in Torvus Bog, Agon Wastes, and the Temple Grounds, and their dark counterparts. Like many objects on Aether, some spinners are trapped in a state of Transdimensional Flux and must be manipulated on the surface of one dimension to affect circumstances in the other.
Samus uses spinners to adjust devices such as Luminoth Laser Emitters, Luminoth Laser Turrets, a security system in the Grand Windchamber protecting the Sunburst, and a vault in the Hall of Honored Dead protecting the Seeker Missile, among other things.
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
- "This is a standard Spinner device. The generator belts of the Spinner can be activated by rapid rotational force. Use the Boost ability of the Morph Ball when inside a Spinner to activate the device." —Metroid Prime Logbook "Spinner" (Metroid Prime)
- "Boost powered control system. Use the Boost ability of the Morph Ball when inside a Spinner to activate the device it powers." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Spinner" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Use the Boost ability of the Morph Ball when inside a Spinner to activate the device it powers." —Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Logbook "Spinner" (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "This Spinner device has previously been used. It has shut itself off." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Spinner unit offline. Unable to restore function to this unit." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Target is in a state of dimensional flux. Unable to completely scan Spinner target. 50% of its component atoms are in another dimension, or on the surface of Dark Aether." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Spinner is inactive. Unable to operate at this time." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)