The areas Samus can access are primarily outdoors in the snow and ice, though there is a sizable portion of the map which has been transformed into a Space Pirate research facility. This facility researches the properties of Phazon infusion in both inanimate and organic objects and Thermal Imaging technology. Phendrana Drifts is also the location of the failed Space Pirate Project Titan.
 Chozo Colonization
Phendrana Drifts appears to have been the center of worship for the Chozo. The Chozo Ice Temple and Chapel of the Elders, both of which are in the Phendrana Shoreline region, are the only explicitly religious sites on Tallon IV besides the Artifact Temple of Tallon Overworld (though areas of religious significance do exist in Chozo Ruins as well, as evidenced by their haunting by Chozo Ghosts). Chozo architecture, including several Chozo Statues, pillars, and other nondescript structures, though partially obscured by ice and snow, are still a major feature of the Shoreline region. There are honored Chozo depicted in Brinstone in the Ice Temple; the busts are of a Chozo Philosopher, a Chozo Warrior, a Chozo Architect, and a Chozo Shaman. Another statue in the Temple depicted a Chozo balancing the Plane of Existence on his hands, and another acted as part of a functional water system that flowed into the Temple.
The Chozo also left the lore entries Cipher and Entrusted One here.
 Research Headquarters
As Space Pirates began establishing their presence on Tallon IV, Phendrana Drifts was chosen for their Research Headquarters. Research outpost Glacier One was founded, and the research labs Hydra and Aether were the areas where initial Phazon-infusion testing began. The sub-zero temperatures of the Phendrana region were optimal for handling the Tallon Metroids being experimented upon there. Though multiple projects were conducted at Glacier One, studies of Metroid morphology through dissections and the effects of Phazon on Metroids were the main focus of their efforts.
Project Titan, which studied the infusion of Phazon into inanimate objects, was among one of the foremost projects conducted in the Drifts. Thardus, an entity composed of Phazon Ore, was the only major success of Project Titan. Casualties incurred from the project eventually led to its complete suspension. Weaknesses discovered in Phazon Ore during Project Titan also led to experimentation with Thermal Imaging in the Research Core of Glacier One. Project Helix, which attempted to infuse Phazon into Pirate DNA, also began here with little success, though it was moved to the Phazon Mines when tangible results were achieved.
Several species, including multiple evolutionary offshoots of other Tallon IV creatures, make their home in the artic drifts, and the majority of these are especially suited to the cold and are not found elsewhere on the planet.
The main predator of Phendrana is the ferocious Sheegoth, and even the immature Baby Sheegoth in the region are incredibly aggressive. The frigid waters of Phendrana are inhabited by Jelzaps and Aqua Reapers. Other common life-forms farther down on the food chain include Crystallites, Flickerbats, Ice Beetles, Ice Burrowers, Ice Parasites, and Ice Shriekbats. Bombus of the Pulse and Scatter variety live here, as well as Seedlings and the peaceful Glider.
- In Japanese, the Phendrana Drifts are known as "Ice Valley."
- "Research outpost Glacier One in Phendrana Drifts region of Tallon IV's mountains is operating at 85% capacity." —Pirate Data "Glacial Wastes" (Metroid Prime)
- "Project Titan is suspended indefinitely. Security breaches resulting in massive casualties have occurred. Access is strictly prohibited until further notice." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Shield controls are elsewhere in the Phendrana Shorelines area." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Spectral entity. Bioelectric field invulnerable to natural energies. As these entities phase in and out of existence, the only reliable way to track them accurately is with x-ray scanning. This partially phased nature makes them invulnerable to natural energy types, such as fire, ice, and electricity. Their aggressive and erratic behavior is most likely due to the corrupting effects of Phazon in the Tallon IV environment. They appear to be drawn to Chozo religious sites, where they wreak havoc upon anything that dares enter the area." —Logbook entry for Chozo Ghosts (Metroid Prime)
- "This is a statue depicting the bust of a Chozo philosopher. This statue is flawless." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "This is a statue depicting the bust of a Chozo warrior. This statue is flawless." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "This is a statue depicting the bust of a Chozo architect. This statue is flawless." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "This is a statue depicting the bust of a Chozo shaman. Several stress fractures can be seen running along the surface of this Brinstone object." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "A statue depicting a Chozo balancing the plane of existence on his hands." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "There appears to be a shell of ice encasing a water basin. The water originated from the statue's mouth." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon mining is under way. Several garrisons have been established and terraforming of the Chozo Ruins is under way. Security systems are operational, and Science Team continues to make progress in their biotech research. The Phendrana Drifts have proven to be an optimal location of Research Headquarters, and soon it will be joined by a fully operation Combat base and starport. If Command's predictions are half true, we shall rise dominant of this sector within a deca-cycle. Truly, these are glorious times." —Space Pirate Data - "Phazon Program" (Metroid Prime)
- "Sub-zero temperatures have made the Metroids sluggish and easy to control, even those well into Phazon infusion cycles. Cold containment status are sufficient for the juveniles, but some of the larger Metroids have been moved to quarantine caves for safety purposes." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Metroid dissection continues to produce more questions than answers. Our research teams have isolated the energy conduits that run from the invasive twin mandibles to the energy core in the creature's quadripartite nucleus, but the manner in which the Metroid actually extracts the life force from its pray remains an utter mystery. The victim does not lose blood or any other vital fluids, and yet the Metroid extracts energy; identifying this energy is our central problem. It takes no physical form, and yet without it, the victim dies. We will continue to research this matter, as the isolation of this life-giving essence could be the key to our ascendance." —Pirate Data "Metroid Morphology" (Metroid Prime)
- "Initial transfer of Metroids to Tallon IV research facilities has been completed. Three were terminated in an incident at the landing site, but the others were pacified and transported safely. Initial Phazon infusion testing is under way. We are eager to observe the effects of Phazon on Metroids, especially their ability to absorb and process the energy give off by Phazon sources. Early research suggest a considerable growth in power and size. Whether the creatures will stay stable thereafter remains to be seen." —Pirate Data "Metroid Studies" (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon ore appears to bind through Phazon energy. Thermal Imaging is required to detect the highest concentration of radioactivity, which serves to bind the stones together." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "This tank holds the remains of experiment 7526. Conversion of Elite Pirate unsuccessful." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Confidence is high regarding Phazon applications. We know enough about Phazon now to begin combining it with Space Pirate DNA. The code name for this venture will be 'Project Helix'. Preliminary studies indicate that Phazon infusion could produce radical Pirate genomes. Benevolent mutation levels are high in current test subjects. Phazon madness is a concern, but refinements in the infusion process should reduce or neutralize the the odds of mental degeneration." —Pirate Data "Phazon Infusion" (Metroid Prime)
|French||Monts de Phendrana||Phendrana Mountains|
|German||Eiswüste von Phendrana||Phendrana Ice Desert|
Rooms in Metroid Prime