|This article is about the species and organization of Space Pirates. For the standard Space Pirate infantry unit, see Pirate Trooper.|
Space Pirates are a species of warring bipedal organisms encountered throughout the Metroid series. They have been present in galactic affairs since as far back as the formation of the Galactic Federation.
Space Pirates are notorious for their use of unyielding force and merciless tactics, in combat or otherwise. Since the foundation of the Galactic Federation, the Space Pirates have, more or less, existed in complete and all out war with their opposition, the Galactic Federation, most notably by the hands of the Federation-employed bounty hunter, Samus Aran. As for military prowess, the Pirates are unmatched in strength, numbers, and ability. They also had an interest in Phazon and its potential for use in creating weapons and even stronger versions of themselves, hence Project Helix.
Discovery of Phazon
- Main article: Metroid Prime
Space Pirates began constructing headquarters on Tallon IV in the Spiral Sector after discovering a potent energy source there. Following their defeat at Zebes, the Space Pirates transported their surviving Metroids there and began numerous experiments on them and others using the mutagenic substance they discovered on the planet. They also reconstructed the fallen Ridley on frigate Orpheon, naming their achievement Meta Ridley. Scientists at the Research Headquarters in the mountainous region made several breakthroughs in Phazon mutation, including Project Helix and Project Titan, and in thermal imaging. Though initially disastrous, the discovery of Vertigo Phazon by Research Team Sclera stabilized the infusion process with Space Pirate embryos, and the Pirates were convinced that the results of Project Helix would usher in a new era of Space Pirate dominance.
Other ventures on Tallon IV included the creation of a geothermal processing plant in the Magmoor Caverns and a successful Phazon mining operation. They also attempted to terraform the Chozo Ruins, with further plans to build a combat base and starport, but incidents involving Chozo Ghosts disrupted those plans.
A New Source
- Main article: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Space Pirate science teams discovered a second source of Phazon in the Dasha System, and a base was set up on Aether four cycles later to evaluate local resources. Despite confrontations with the Ing resulting in considerable damage, the search for viable Phazon sources on the planet continued. Within the next cycle, a spatial anomaly and a relic were discovered inside their base in Agon Wastes. The Pirates suspected the rift led to a parallel dimension, and these suspicions were confirmed once the energy from the relic was used to open the Rift and travel through it into Dark Aether, which they discovered was not only the home of the Ing that had been plaguing them but also the prime source of Phazon in the sector.
Phazon extraction raids of Dark Aether began immediately, in spite of the massive power requirements. The toxic atmosphere and the Ing took a toll on the workforce, resulting in an increased security presence in extraction locations, the invention of survival gear by Science Team, and authorization for more troops and supplies from High Command. Shortly thereafter, Dark Samus, who the Space Pirates mistake for Samus Aran, arrives and commences stealing their Phazon, crippling their Stealth Field Generator in one particularly damaging raid.
Around this time the Ing launched a large offensive on the alien mountain settlement, damaging the Space Pirate facilities numerous times as well. Later, the ship carrying their reinforcements was shot down and pursued by the G.F.S. Tyr, which landed near the alien temple. Finally, the real Samus Aran, in search of GFMC Task Force Herakles, made planetfall on Aether, where a scout witnessed her being attacked by Dark Samus. Surrounded by the Ing, the Galactic Federation, and two Hunters, the Pirates hoped to forge some kind of alliance with the Dark Hunter against their common enemy in an attempt to salvage the mission.
The Ing made collection of Phazon quite difficult for the Pirates, often attacking them on Dark Aether at extraction sites. Eventually, troop possession became a major obstacle, as the Ing came to view troopers and commandos as perfect candidates for possession, especially in light of their training and advanced weaponry.
Besides their Phazon mining operations, the Pirates also started a mass breeding and training program for Tallon Metroids, primarily as a power source until sufficient amounts of Phazon could be collected. Within their own ranks, the Pirates had to administer discipline for offenses associated with Metroids, including using specimens for target practice and feeding them rations, and episodes of Phazon Fever among the workforce were problematic.
Dark Samus was suspected of stealing several Metroid specimens after three went missing. The Space Pirates classified her as a class Platinum-AAA threat level, and discovered through their analysis that her power grows as she consumes Phazon. Despite their inclination to forge an alliance with her, she continued to siphon Phazon from them.
Space Pirates are surprisingly intelligent, but they usually use altered stolen technology. In the Prime series, a Space Pirate usually has a Plasma Rifle and a Scythe. The higher the rank, the more numerous and powerful the weapons they wield. Other known Space Pirate weapons are an altered version of the Wave Beam, Power Beam, Ice Beam, and the Plasma Beam. Some Space Pirates also have a Missile Launchers, Jetpack, and different versions of Armor. In the 2D games, Space Pirates usually have armor, and some sort of twin lasers that shoot out of their claw-like appendages.
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- Space Pirate:
- An enemy of Samus. They land on Tallon IV and use the energy they find there—called Phazon—for brutal experiments on the planet's life-forms. Samus makes for Tallon IV to destroy the experiment facilities. In Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, the pirates go to Aether to find Phazon. A war is being waged there, and a race of dark beasts, the Ing, make research difficult.
The Space Pirates, although generally exclusive to their own species, employ different creatures as Pirate leaders. Notable members include the following:
- Space Pirates consider the poisonous leaves of the Blueroot Tree to be a delicacy.
- Apparently, Space Pirates enjoy keeping domesticated animals as pets, including Gronkats, Olbaps, and Metroids, though the latter are not to be domesticated according to Metroid Handling Protocols as of 07.202.02.
- "Scans of the Spiral Sector detected a massive energy spike emanating from a Wanderer-class planet identified as Tallon IV. Scout reconnaissance was immediately dispatched to the center of the spike, a land mass at heading mark 40.08.02, returning with planetary samples and atmospheric imaging. Analysis shows the energy source to be an unstable radioactive material of enormous potential. We are unable to form an accurate risk-assessment at this time, but we are unlikely to find an energy source this powerful again. Analysis will continue, but currently Tallon IV appears to be a viable secondary headquarters." —Pirate Data "Contact" (Metroid Prime)
- "Zebes has fallen. All ground personnel are presumed dead, either killed by the Hunter clad in metal or in the subsequent destruction of the underground facilities. Our research frigates Orpheon, Siriacus and Vol Paragom were in orbit at zero hour and managed to retreat. Frigate Orpheon is now docked at Vortex Outpost. Orpheon's cargo appears to have a 100% survival rate; Metroids are healthy but on restricted feeding schedules due to uncertain supply status. We are ready to begin research on the Metroids and other promising life-forms. Security status remains at Code Blue; no signs of pursuit from the Hunter." —Pirate Data "Fall of Zebes" (Metroid Prime)
- "The reconstruction of geoform 187, code-named Ridley, was recently completed. After his defeat on Zebes, Command ordered a number of metagenetic improvements for him. Though aggressive, we were able to implement these changes in a cycle. The metamorphosis was painful, but quite successful in the end. Early tests indicate a drastic increase in strength, mobility, and offensive capability. Cybernetic modules and armor plating have been added as well. We believe our creation, now called Meta Ridley, will become the mainstay of our security force, a job he will certainly relish." —Pirate Data "Meta Ridley" (Metroid Prime)
- "Confidence is high regarding Phazon applications. We know enough about Phazon now to begin combining it with Space Pirate DNA. The code name for this venture will be 'Project Helix'. Preliminary studies indicate that Phazon infusion could produce radical Pirate genomes. Benevolent mutation levels are high in current test subjects. Phazon madness is a concern, but refinements in the infusion process should reduce or neutralize the the odds of mental degeneration." —Pirate Data "Phazon Infusion" (Metroid Prime)
- "Research on Tallon IV is expanding into new areas. Pending stabilization of the Thardus venture, we will expand Inanimation research to include other native Tallon IV materials." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Imaging research is being conducted in the containment Vault area of this facility." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Initial Project Helix experiments with Space Pirate embryos were disastrous. The Phazon-infusion process degenerated brain tissue even as it augmented muscle mass. None of what termed Elite Pirates lived to maturity; the few that survived their infanthood suffered severe psychotic breakdowns as juveniles, killing anything within their zone of perception. Research team Sclera made a recent breakthrough, in which parasite studies with a Phazon strain code-named Vertigo were highly successful. Since then we have successful fused Vertigo Phazon with Space Pirate DNA with great success. The latest batch of Elite Pirates have reached maturity successfully and are ready for field testing and training." —Pirate Data "Elite Pirates" (Metroid Prime)
- "As we continue to observe the development of Project Helix's Elite Pirates, it becomes increasingly obvious that these warriors will usher in a new era of Space Pirate dominance. They are incredibly resistant to damage, and their ability to transport and wield so many weapons at once makes them the ideal mainstays of our ground forces. Though they are not as quick as typical Pirates, it makes little difference. With a platoon of Elite Pirates in the vanguard of an army of normal and Flying Pirates, we will have a near-indestructible backbone that should turn the tide in any engagement." —Pirate Data "Special Forces" (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon mining is under way. Several garrisons have been established and terraforming of the Chozo Ruins is under way. Security systems are operational, and Science Team continues to make progress in their biotech research. The Phendrana Drifts have proven to be an optimal location of Research Headquarters, and soon it will be joined by a fully operational Combat base and starport. If Command's predictions are half true, we shall rise dominant of this sector within a deca-cycle. Truly, these are glorious times." —Pirate Data "Phazon Program" (Metroid Prime)
- "There have been numerous incidents involving spectral entities at Chozo Ruins sites. Several personnel have been assaulted by these Chozo Ghosts; few have survived. Survivors speak of swift attacks from nowhere, brief sitings of the enemy, then nothing, only to be followed by another attack. Science Team believes these attacks are in response to our efforts to recover Chozo relics and Artifacts. Somehow, these entities are able to interact with the physical world, and it appears they wish to keep their Artifacts to themselves. We will make them pay for such arrogance, for even ghosts can be destroyed." —Pirate Data "Chozo Ghosts" (Metroid Prime)
- "Chozo Ruins areas are off-limits until further notice." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Bioform Samus Aran continues to assault our holdings on Tallon IV. Security has been compromised in multiple areas. Casualty rates are rising. Command has authorized a sizable bounty for the capture or termination of Aran. Report to your field officers for details." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Planet Tallon IV, formerly a Chozo colony, was struck by a stellar object 50 years ago. Object was later determined to contain large quantities of Phazon. The Chozo were able to stave off the spread of Phazon, at the cost of many Chozo lives. The survivors abandoned the planet, fleeing to an unknown location. Decades later, Hunter Samus Aran responded to a distress call in the sector and discovered a Space Pirate Phazon Mining Station there. Aran eliminated both the pirate and Phazon threat from the planet, though not without cost." —Galactic Federation Data "Tallon IV Incident" (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Science teams have discovered the presence of Phazon in the Dasha system four cycles ago. High command authorized the deployment of our team shortly thereafter. Our orders are to establish a base on planet Aether and evaluate local Phazon resources. Because this world lies on the periphery of Galactic Federation territory, we are following stealth protocols at the highest level. A cadre of elite commandos has been dispatched to provide security for our force as well. This operation is now under way." —Pirate Logs "Log 04.468.1 (Phazon Operations)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Intelligence reports on the indigenous population of Aether are in error. This planet is not at peace, nor are the inhabitants docile. Evidence of a class 4 conflict is present here, though hostilities are at minimal level now. Our territory has suffered several raids by a strange type of shadowy creature. These raids have caused considerable damage, and we have requested more combat troops in response." —Pirate Logs "Log 04.885.3 (Local Conflict)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "A spatial anomaly has been found within our base. We believe this rift in space-time leads to a parallel dimension of some type, but have been unable to interact with it thus far. A strange artifact was found near the anomaly as well. It may be a weapon or generator of some kind: perhaps it is the key to accessing the anomaly. High Command is eager for reports on the relic. A new weapon for our arsenal is always welcome." —Pirate Logs "Log 05.008.6 (Great Discoveries)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Rift Portal has been opened. The artifact weapon, dubbed the "Dark Beam" by science team, provides energy needed to open the portal, although for a limited time. We've sent expeditions through the portal, and they have returned with incredible news. The portal leads to a parallel version of Aether. This "Dark Aether" has suffered a global calamity, turning it into a toxic wasteland. It is the homeworld of the shadowy creature who have been raiding our base for the last cycle. Most importantly, it is the prime location of Phazon in this sector. Extraction plans are being prepared. We will not be denied!" —Pirate Logs "Log 05.422.1 (Rift Portal)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Technician Report, 07.201.01
The wind energy systems are online. I've managed to build a modest supply of reserve power, but I doubt it will last. All of these trips to the dark world are taking a huge toll on the energy supply. We'll see how they feel about these stupid expeditions when the cooling systems shuts off and the power latrines go offline." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Phazon extraction raids are under way on Dark Aether. The toxicity of the atmosphere has taken a toll on our workforce, as have the hostile natives of that world. Science Team is preparing survival gear to protect our work teams, and we have increased our security presence in extraction areas. Fortunately, High Command is sending more troops and supplies. Our troops and resources are spread dangerously thin, and this mission cannot fail." —Pirate Logs "Log 06.221.7 (Phazon Raids)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Samus Aran, the accursed Hunter, has arrived. The sudden arrival of the Hunter is strange enough, but her actions are stranger still. She does not seek our destruction, but our Phazon. With each raid, she steals Phazon ore, only killing those who attempt to deny her. What she needs it for we do not know - though Science Team suspects she requires it to power her new armorsuit. Dark in color, it is equipped with strange new weapons. The troops now call her the "Dark Hunter." It is a fitting title." —Pirate Logs "Log 06.362.2 (The Hunter)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Dark Hunter teleports into the base at will. Our security has proven next to useless against her. Her latest raid was disastrous. Not only did we lose more Phazon to her, but she also crippled the stealth field generator with her strange new weapons. We are exposed. Until the replacement generator arrives, we will be vulnerable to scans and detection. Our presence here is still minimal: should the Federation find us, we will be unable to defend our position. Fortunately, Aether is on the fringe of Federation space. With luck, we will have a stealth field back in effect before being detected." —Pirate Logs "Log 06.713.5 (Security Breach)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The local war has escalated in intensity. The shadowlings from Dark Aether launched an offensive. The assault seems focused on a central network of buildings atop a mountain: a base, perhaps. Strangely, this attack coincides with a rise in planetary instability. Perhaps these shadow creatures are using a new weapon system. The shadowlings must believe us to be foes, for they have hit our base numerous times as well. We are holding, but this attrition is taking its toll on our troops and resources. Reinforcements are en route. We can only wait and defend what is ours." —Pirate Logs "Log 06.989.8 (Shadow War)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Another disaster. The transport bringing our reinforcements and supplies has been shot down. It was engaged in orbit by a federation vessel, which has landed near the alien temple. It's only a matter of time before the Marines attack. Survivors from our ship have made their way to our base. Here we shall make our stand. Another enemy. First the shadowlings, then the Dark Hunter, and now the Galactic Federation Marine Corps. Perhaps fate will smile upon us, before the world itself opens its maw and swallows us." —Pirate Logs "Log 07.013.6 (Federation Attack)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Another hunter, wearing the traditional colors of Samus Aran, made planetfall today. Horrific as it may sound, there are two of them now. We are bracing for a new assault. This dire turn of events may bear some good will. One of our scouts in Dark Aether saw a curious encounter. The Dark Hunter attacked the one clad as Samus near a Phazon site. Perhaps they are not allies...but foes. Perhaps we can forge an alliance with the Dark Hunter - an exchange, Phazon for the head of our common enemy." —Pirate Logs "Log 07.159.9 (Two Hunters)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Collection Report, 07.202.02
Phazon supply at site 1 is diminishing. Sites 2 and 3 are supply-rated above 90%. Site 4 remains a problem due to high presence of hostile bioforms." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Evidence of symbiotic bonding present in subject's system. Subject is barely alive, and is periodically leeched of its bioenergy by Metroids." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Pirate troopers, already trained to follow orders without question, were perfect candidates for Ing possession. Darklings moved to take every trooper they could, expanding the army of the Horde considerably. Space Pirate technology struck a chord with the Ing, who now hunt actively for gadgetry of any kind-especially weapon systems." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Dark Pirate Trooper" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Ing prize the few Pirate Commandos they manage to take alive. Only Hunter Ing are allowed to possess the Commandos, and the competition for that right is fierce among them. The Hunter Ing ability to phase out of local timespace carries over to the Dark Pirate Commando. They will fire bursts of dark matter at enemies, along with experimental EMP grenades stolen from the Space Pirates." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Dark Pirate Commando" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Production Report-Metroids 07.201.01
Mass breeding of Metroids under way. We will meet Command's quota within a cycle. Storage remains an issue, recommended expansion of existing facility before a critical Metroid level is reached." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Termination Report 07.195.02
Metroid unit 318 was put down today after a failed domestication session. Metroid unit refused commands and terminated one of its handlers before it was subdued." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Training Report, 07.200.08
Science Team believes the Metroids can be trained. After several cycles of trying, I believe Science Team has vapor for brains. I've lost two assistants to the wretched little things." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Metroid Energy Report, 07.202.09
Until we recover more Phazon, we rely on Metroids for power. Command has authorized mass breeding of Metroids for this purpose." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Unit 686 released a Metroid for target practice today: the Metroid then assaulted 686. He should be regaining brain functions in a cycle." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Metroid Handling Protocols, 07.202.02
Metroids are not pets. Metroids are not for target practice. Finally, unauthorized feeding of Metroids is still strictly prohibited." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Medical Report 07.199.09
Technician 12 relieved after showing symptoms of "Phazon Fever," in where he claimed the Phazon as his own and held us at gunpoint until security arrived." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Three Metroids have been stolen. All on-duty units have been questioned. Whereabouts of Metroids unknown. Doubling security in Metroid areas until further notice." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Security Report 07.199.07
The Dark Hunter was spotted near the Metroid tanks. She attempted to breach the containment racks without success, then escaped. Perhaps she is behind the Metroid theft." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Hunter Analysis, 07.202.07
Scans of the "Dark Hunter" have been revealed she grows stronger as she consumes Phazon. Already a class Platinum-AAA threat level, we shudder to think of her power level if she consumes our entire Phazon supply." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Aran fought against both Space Pirates and Ing, and arose victorious. Aether's "dark twin" vanished, taking with it the Ing horde, and the planet's peace was finally restored. After the Aether incident, the Federation sent the G.F.S. Anhur back to Aether to deal with the pirate base. Upon arrival, the crew and marines of the Anhur assisted the native Luminoth in dismantling an abandoned Space Pirate mining facility." —Galactic Federation Data "Anhur Incident" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Blueroot tree is common on worlds with desert regions. While an elegant, attractive plant, the tree's leaves are highly toxic. Few species can ingest the leaves and live: many of them (such as the Space Pirates) consider the deadly Blueroot leaf a delicacy." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)