|This article is about the ship seen in Metroid Prime. For the Super Smash Bros. Brawl stage, see Frigate Orpheon (stage).|
Experimentation and Disaster
Frigate Orpheon was one of three Space Pirate frigates that managed to retreat from orbit around Zebes after the destruction of the underground Space Pirate facilities. Orpheon docked at Vortex Outpost with its load of Metroid cargo and later entered orbit around Tallon IV in search of promising life-forms upon which to perform mutagenic experiments with Phazon. Among the species procured from the planet for these experiments were Parasites, Plated Parasites, Shriekbats, Ice Shriekbats, Plazmites, War Wasps, and Zoomers. Of these, mutations of Parasite Queens were the most successful.
In time, two Parasite Queens escaped from their containment and killed much of the crew. The survivors managed to terminate one of the Queens and activate the distress beacon Samus received before abandoning ship. Others were gravely injured and still aboard when she arrived. When Samus infiltrates the frigate, she discovers the remaining Parasite Queen in the Reactor Core and engages it in battle. Upon its defeat, it falls into the ship's reactor and triggers a self-destruct sequence. Samus manages to escape, and what remains of the frigate crashes onto nearby Tallon IV.
While escaping, Samus comes across the rebuilt Meta Ridley, who abandons the vessel and flees to the planet below to oversee Space Pirate activity. Samus loses most of her upgrades during her escape from an explosion in an elevator shaft.
The Crashed Frigate
After Samus obtains the Gravity Suit in Phendrana Drifts, she is able to explore the downed Orpheon, resting at the Frigate Crash Site, now flooded with water. Aqua Reapers, Tallon Crabs, and Aqua Sacs have infested the frigate, and a few Aqua Pirates have entered it, most likely searching for survivors.
As the ship's main power is offline, Samus must activate Power Conduits with her Wave Beam and Thermal Visor to progress through much of the area. The vessel only has one Missile Expansion and two Energy Tanks.
- Main article: Frigate Orpheon (stage)
"Frigate Orpheon" is a stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A Parasite Queen is seen hanging in the background. The stage is unique in that it occasionally flips one hundred eighty degrees, slightly changing the terrain. This feature, however, does not reflect any abilities of the actual frigate. There is also a stage in Echoes' multiplayer mode called Sidehopper Station that greatly resembles the Frigate Orpheon.
- The large doors found throughout Frigate Orpheon are the same model as the hatches above the elevators in the various transports between regions in Prime, as seen here.
Metroid Recon's Full Map of the Pirate Frigate
- "Unidentified distress beacon has been tracked to a derelict space vessel in orbit above Tallon IV." —Introduction (Metroid Prime)
- "Zebes has fallen. All ground personnel are presumed dead, either killed by the Hunter clad in metal or in the subsequent destruction of the underground facilities. Our research frigates Orpheon, Siriacus and Vol Paragom were in orbit at zero hour and managed to retreat. Frigate Orpheon is now docked at Vortex Outpost. Orpheon's cargo appears to have a 100% survival rate; Metroids are healthy but on restricted feeding schedules due to uncertain supply status. We are ready to begin research on the Metroids and other promising life-forms. Security status remains at Code Blue; no signs of pursuit from the Hunter." —Metroid Prime Logbook "Fall of Zebes" (Metroid Prime)
- "Derelict Space Pirate ship that self-distructed in low orbit above Tallon IV. Faint life signs detected in interior." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
|Spanish||Fragata Orpheon||Frigate Orpheon|
|French||Frégate Orphéon||Frigate Orpheon|
|German||Fregatte Orpheon||Frigate Orpheon|
|Italian||Fregata Orpheon||Frigate Orpheon|
Rooms in Metroid Prime