Shriekbats are flying creatures in the Metroid Prime series.
Shriekbats hang from ceilings in caves. They have a high internal temperature, peaking at 121° centigrade, which makes them easy to spot with thermal imaging. When something enters their territory, they swoop down and explode on contact with their target. Shriekbats native to Tallon IV have a small, insect-like appearance and possess blade shaped wings, a single red eye on their head, two small mandibles, and two small legs that they use to hold onto cave ceilings.
Shriekbats native to planet Aether are shaped like discs, with several glowing orange eyes and what appear to be tails.
There are several different subspecies of Shriekbat including Ice, Bryyonian, Urtagian, Elysian, and Phazon Shriekbats. All Shriekbats are based off of real-world bats; however, their design only vaguely resembles them. Tallon IV's Shriekbats greatly resemble the Skree of Zebes.
 Elysian Shriekbat
- Main article: Elysian Shriekbat
Elysian Shriekbats are not an actual species of Shriekbat but are robotic versions designed by the Chozo to mimic regular Shriekbats.
 Ice Shriekbat
- Main article: Ice Shriekbat
Ice Shriekbats appear in the Phendrana Drifts they have a blue and yellow color scheme; their wings are much larger and they have ice crystals on their backs.
 Bryyonian Shriekbat
- Main article: Bryyonian Shriekbat
Bryyonian Shriekbats look more like real world bats.
 Urtagian Shriekbat
- Main article: Urtagian Shriekbat
Urtagian Shriekbats resemble Shriekbats from Aether.
 Phazon Shriekbat
- Main article: Phazon Shriekbat
Phazon shriekbats are completely different from all other Shriekbats they are more aggressive and when they dive bomb they explode in a Phazon explosion, they are completely dependent on Phazon.
Several Shriekbats hanging from a ceiling in Chozo Ruins
A Shriekbat specimen on Frigate Orpheon
Several Shriekbats on Aether
Shriekbats in action.
- "Territorial ceiling-dweller. Body temperature peaks at 121° centigrade. Shriekbats have high internal temperature, making them easy to spot with thermal imaging. They roost on cave ceilings while hunting for small prey. Fiercely territorial, they dive-bomb anything that wanders near." —Metroid Prime Logbook "Shriekbat" (Metroid Prime)
- "A winged creature that explodes on contact to defends its territory, it will attack any creature approaching its nesting grounds. Inhabitants of Tallon IV have called for its extermination because of the threat it poses to the infrastructure and cultural heritage of the planet." —Metroid Prime Hunters Logbook "Shriekbat" (Metroid Prime Hunters)
- "Shriekbats have high internal temperatures, leading them to seek cool climates to dwell in. They prefer caverns, roosting on ceilings while hunting for small prey. Fiercely territorial, they dive-bomb anything that wanders near. This attack is fatal for the Shriekbat, as the impact sets off a discharge of thermal energy." —Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Logbook "Shriekbat" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
Creatures from Metroid Prime
Creatures from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes