The Parasite Queen is the first boss of Metroid Prime, found in the Reactor Core of Frigate Orpheon. It is a Parasite mutated through Space Pirate experimentation. When Samus Aran enters the Reactor Core, the Parasite Queen appears inside a blue, seemingly impenetrable barrier.
Parasite Queens are the result of a Space Pirate bioengineering program. They possess large muscle structures around their massive jaws, which also contain fluid sacs filled with acid. These fluid sacs enlarge considerably after exposure to Phazon, leading to an increase in production of corrosive bile. Their tail sections end in a large, mouth-like orifice likely used to birth offspring, which survive their mother's acidic embryonic fluid by means of a tough exoskeleton. A Parasite Queen's primary legs possess galvanized tips, allowing it to penetrate a variety of alloys.
The Parasite Queen boss battle, like many early battles, is a relatively easy, one-stage battle. To defeat the Parasite Queen, Samus must shoot the Power Beam or Missile at it while an open section of its shield is revealed. To attack, the Parasite queen launches acid from fluid sacs located around its mouth. The acid it shoots is corrosive enough to damage Samus's Varia Suit, meaning it is likely more powerful than Flaahgra's toxic water found throughout Chozo Ruins.
Occasionally, the shield around Parasite Queen will randomly reform, leaving an open space in a different area. Lock-On Orbiting is useful to catch up with the spinning shield or to catch it coming from the other side. Unlike many bosses, Parasite Queen's entire body is vulnerable to attack.
The Parasite Queen is not one of a kind. It is one of six known specimens, four of which are found on Frigate Orpheon and two found in Eastern SkyTown, Elysia. The specimens on Orpheon, however, located in the Emergency Evacuation Area, Biohazard Containment, and Biotech Research Area 1, are dead and hibernating, respectively. The specimen in hibernation breaks out of its containment while Samus is escaping Frigate Orpheon, but is killed in a powerful explosion.
Two other dead Queens appear in Xenoresearch Lift A within the Space Pirates' labs in Eastern SkyTown, dead from experiments and the like. Parasite Queens come about as the result of unknown methods of mutating a Parasite with Phazon, corrupting the creature.
First Dead Parasite Queen
Second Parasite Queen
Third Dead Parasite Queen
Fourth Dead Parasite Queen
Fifth Dead Parasite Queen
- The Parasite Queen appears in the background of the Frigate Orpheon stage in Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
- This early battle is often exploited using the Rapid Fire Glitch, allowing a quick kill on Parasite Queen.
- The Parasite Queen battle is the first battle of the Metroid Prime series.
- "Analysis shows incredibly large muscle structures surrounding the jaw area. Fluid sacs containing acid are also detected." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "The fluid sacs in the mouth enlarge after mutation. This allows for increased production of corrosive bile." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Parasite egg in pupa stage. Its tough exoskeleton protects it from its mother's acidic embryonic fluid." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Combat mutation applications are complete. The primary legs of this creature possess galvanized tips, allowing it to penetrate any known alloy." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Cell tissue has been dissolving due to various experiments." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Mutated specimen appears similar to parasitic Tallon IV bioforms." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Parasite female, genetically enhanced by unknown means. A weak spot has been detected in this creature's mouth. Use your auto-targeting to acquire this new target! Scans indicate the presence of a potent mutagen, origins unknown. Creature exhibits the ability to fire weapon-grade blasts of energy from its mouth, a trait not present in the standard parasite genome. It appears the Pirates have begun a bioengineering program, with considerable results." — Logbook "Parasite Queen" (Metroid Prime)
- "High levels of radiation detected." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Tail section possesses a mouthlike orifice. Most likely used for birthing offspring." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Low life signs detected. The creature appears to be in a state of stasis hibernation." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Specimen Cell A
Status >> Hibernation.
Transference of Phazon Batch 0081.0 complete." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Containment seal breached. Larva vital signs critical. Secure area and terminate specimen." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "This specimen has been horribly mutated. There are no life readings." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
Infusion Stage 2
Introducing mutagen into tank.
Phazon Batch 0732.C
Status >> Complete." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Space Pirates performed many experiments using Phazon as a means to artificially enhance physical strength. The Parasite Queens are the result of those experiments on one small life-form. This Parasite Queen lived in a nuclear reactor and fired destructive beams at Samus from its mouth. The barrier that spun around the queen reflected its and Samus's attacks." —Trophy Gallery (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)