|This article is about the creature from the Metroid Prime series. For the game named for the creature, see Metroid Prime (game).|
Metroid Prime is a Phazon-mutated Metroid found in the Impact Crater on Tallon IV. It is a highly adaptable enemy, often changing its strategy in battle. It is armed with numerous weapons, including versions of Samus's beam weapons that can fire sustained blasts. It also has a Snare Beam, which is a green light that traps Samus and pulls her to itself.
When a Leviathan first impacted Tallon IV, it began to spread Phazon across the planet. For protection, it found a Metroid from an unknown source. Somehow, this Metroid absorbed the core and became it. This creature was prophesied by the Chozo as a Worm that will destroy the planet. The Artifact Temple was built around the Impact Crater to imprison the Metroid Prime, but they knew the prison would not hold it forever.
Original Space Pirate Data, which has since been retconned, tells of the Space Pirates capturing the Metroid Prime and observing it. The Metroid Prime assimilated many of their weapons, and they let it go out of fear that they could not control it. Newer entries simply say that they detect a massive energy source in the crater.
Samus battles it in several chambers within the Impact Crater, and Metroid Prime becomes increasingly aggressive and uses more attacks the more Samus damages it. Metroid Prime's weak point, its head, is vulnerable to the Beam and Charge Combo it is currently using, which changes in accordance with the color of the markings on its exoskeleton. For example, if Metroid Prime's coloration is primarily purple, it will be using and be affected by the Wave Beam (yellow for Power Beam, white for Ice Beam, and red for Plasma Beam). It will shift weapons in an attempt to avoid attacks.
Metroid Prime is invulnerable to the stun effects of all weapons and combos except for the Ice Spreader, which will briefly freeze it. Sometimes Metroid Prime will try to ram Samus, and she will need to use her Morph Ball to evade it. After Samus defeats Metroid Prime's exoskeleton, it falls down a long shaft. Samus follows it, and Metroid Prime's core essence attacks her.
Essence of Metroid Prime
While in its core form, Metroid Prime attacks with large shock waves; it is also capable of becoming invisible to the normal light spectrum and spawning a variety of Metroids. None of Samus' normal weapons can damage Metroid Prime, but, by standing in pools of Phazon it generates, Samus can enter Hyper-Mode to power her Phazon Beam and use it to defeat Metroid Prime.
After Samus defeats Metroid Prime, it desperately reaches for her. Its grip is so strong on the Phazon in her Phazon Suit that it rips it from her. It manages to save itself by forming into this suit, becoming Dark Samus. The destruction of its previous form causes a massive explosion, which destroys the Impact Crater. The action of taking Samus's Phazon Suit inadvertently has freed Samus from corruption.
Metroid Prime Pinball
Metroid Prime also appears on the Impact Crater table in Metroid Prime Pinball. In this game, Metroid Prime is battled in both its exo and core forms. It will attack Samus with an energy blast while Metroids occasionally appear while in its exo form. When in its core form, Metroid Prime can fire energy blasts and homing projectiles.
The Metroid Prime is able to utilize unique abilities. Like most Metroids, the Metroid Prime can absorb energy in almost any form. The main ability at its disposal is its power to adapt and assimilate to increase its power. It used this power to develop an exoskeleton and assimilate various Space Pirate weapons, which increases its combat potential. The Metroid Prime also is able to generate and feed off of Phazon. It generates Phazon at regular intervals, and is also able to control it to an extent. It will consume Phazon as an energy source, allowing for even greater strength, making it a self-sustaining organism, feeding only on what it generates itself. The physical form of the Metroid Prime can even change, as it did when it transformed into Dark Samus. When it generates Phazon, it can also simultaneously create various Metroids to aid it in battle. Few creatures, if any, have any of these abilities.
- Main article: Dark Samus
The Metroid Prime transforms into Dark Samus after being defeated by Samus. In this form, it has all of the abilities of Samus, but is more powerful. After its transformation, it is no longer referred to as the Metroid Prime. Dark Samus is responsible for the spread of Phazon into Federation space.
Note: The first three entries listed were not included in the PAL/Trilogy version, and are no longer considered canon.
Note: This is the only entry in the PAL/Trilogy version that mentions the Metroid Prime.
Metroid Prime reborn as Dark Samus
- As Dark Samus is the Metroid Prime, the Metroid Prime is the main antagonist in the entire Metroid Prime Series.
- Husks of a creature almost identical to the Metroid Prime can be found in Metroid Prime 3: Corruption in the Genesis Chamber on Phaaze. The origin of these husks are unknown.
- "Many Chozo are gifted with the distant sight, and even more begin to learn it as our harmonization with the universe becomes more and more complete. We peer forwards, seeing prophecy in the ripples of the water, hearing rumors of coming days on the breath of the wind. Though we celebrate the distant sight, many of these visions are dark - the worst of the prophecies, and the most common, tells of the coming of the Worm. Born from parasites, nurtured in a poisoned womb, the Worm grows, devouring from within, until the world begins to rot. Not all prophecies come to pass, of course, but we cannot help but fear this dark portent." —Chozo Lore - Worm (Metroid Prime)
- "As the Great Poison reaches ever further into the planet, we Chozo begin to feel the gnawings of despair - before it is too late, we now make our last stand. We have begun to build a temple to contain this darkness; at its heart we will place a Cipher, a mystical lock powered by twelve Artifacts and filled with as much power as we Chozo can harness. We wonder, though - even when we are done, will it be too late? And will the power of the temple, and the Cipher itself, prove strong enough to hold back the poisonous tide that even now swells within the ground, threatening all life?" —Chozo Lore - Cipher (Metroid Prime)
- "Test subject Z-d, hereafter referred to as Metroid Prime, was recently discovered in a cavern by mining crews. It quickly dispatched the miners, but was eventually contained by security units and drones. Once contained, we were able to begin studies upon Metroid Prime. The results have been astonishing. It is genetically similar to a Metroid, albeit on a high evolved level. It displays a limitless capacity for Phazon infusion and shows no Phazon-based degeneration whatsoever. It continues to grow in size, and while it has manifested some psychotic behavior, the cold field we use to pacify remain effective. Authorization for advanced studies on Metroid Prime have been approved." —Space Pirate Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Metroid Prime continues to feed and grow ever larger in the impact crater caves. Its hunger knows no bounds, and it has begun to manifest unusual mutations since its breach. These include armor plating on its epidermis and mechanical outgrowths that generate defense screens. These screens render it invulnerable to most weapon systems, but a flaw in the mutation leads to increased vulnerability to certain weapons. It compensates for this by shifting the screens quickly. This latest development concerns Security units greatly: they feel it's a matter of time before Metroid Prime corrects this defect and renders itself invulnerable to all weaponry. Containment would be nigh impossible if this were to occur." —Space Pirate Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Investigations into a possible ingress point for the Impact Crater continue to meet with failure. The shield of strange energy that protects it is impermeable, and all attempts to tunnel past it have proved fruitless. Our continued futility in this matter is made all the more significant in light of recent life form readings we've discovered emanating from deep within the crater. Analysis of the readings indicates that a massive creature is gestating in there, absorbing enormous amounts or Phazon from the Phazon core at the heart of the impact crater. This discovery makes accessing the crater doubly important - not only will it open the door to the vast deposits of Phazon within, but it will also lead us to this creature, whatever it may be." —Pirate Data "Impact Crater" (Metroid Prime)
- "Subject Metroid Prime's breach has been contained. Reports indicate that it sensed a large batch of raw Phazon in the lab from within its stasis tank and broke through the glass, using previously unsuspected strength. Besides consuming all of the Phazon, Metroid Prime assimilated several weapons and defense systems from fallen security units. It has suffered no ill effect from said assimilation: indeed, it began to use its newly acquired weapons against us. Once we pacified it, we were unable to remove the assimilated gear without threat to Metroid Prime — the gear is now an integral part of its body. Command is intrigued by this newfound ability, and has ordered further study to commence at once." —Space Pirate Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Investigations into a possible ingress point for the Impact Crater continue to meet with failure. The shield of strange energy that protects it is impermeable, and all attempts to tunnel past it have proved fruitless. Our continued futility in this matter is made all the more significant in light of recent life form readings we've discovered emanating from deep within the crater. Analysis of the readings indicates that a massive creature is gestating in there, absorbing enormous amounts of Phazon from the Phazon core at the heart of the impact crater. This discovery makes accessing the crater doubly important - not only will it open the door to the vast deposits of Phazon within, but it will also lead us to this creature, whatever it may be." —Pirate Data "Impact Crater" (Metroid Prime: Trilogy)
- "Highly evolved, Phazon-producing life form. The aberration known as Metroid Prime is the source of Phazon, making it immensely powerful. A genetic flaw makes it susceptible to certain weapons for brief periods. Only its head is truly vulnerable: other attacks are a nuisance. Offensively, Metroid Prime has a number of natural and mechanical weapons at its disposal. These include Ultrafrigid Breath, Multi-Missiles, Snare Beams, and Particle Wave Projectors. Its massive strength and barbed carapace make it lethal in melee combat. Recommend maximum firepower when engaging this enemy." —Logbook (Metroid Prime)
- "The core essence of Metroid Prime. Scan indicates that the Phazon energy form of Metroid Prime is invulnerable to all weapons; only attacks from a Phazon-fuzed Arm Cannon will damage it. It generates pools of Phazon when it attacks; use these to fuel your Suit's Phazon weapon system. The entity can also spawn Metroids to assist it in battle, rendering it invisible when it does so." —Logbook (Metroid Prime)
- "The form of the Metroid Prime that Samus first encounters. It can become invulnerable to all but one of Samus's weapons at a time. The body color alternates between yellow, purple, white, and red, with the color indicating the weapon that can deal damage. After taking a certain amount of damage, the Metroid Prime exoskeleton reveals its core essence." —Trophy Gallery (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
- "The core form of Metroid Prime after losing its exoskeleton. It can make itself invisible for a set time, which requires Samus to make a visor change. Normal hits do not have any effect on it—the Metroid Prime can eventually be defeated by using the Phazon Beam while standing on a Phazon puddle." —Trophy Gallery (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
Creatures from Metroid Prime