The Omega Pirate, also known as Elite Pirate Upsilon, is the most powerful of the Elite Pirate forces and the pinnacle of Project Helix. Its body is more resilient than that of an Elite Pirate and it is capable of absorbing Phazon to regenerate, becoming invisible when it does. Due to a design flaw in its energy absorption system not present in its Elite Pirate counterparts, it remains vulnerable to Missiles while attempting to siphon energy from beam weapons.
The Omega Pirate was designed to be the most powerful of the Project Helix endeavors. Samus encounters only one Omega Pirate, but the Space Pirates intended to make more, though this undertaking was not without its challenges: simulations revealed that rapid cellular degeneration from intense Phazon exposure was resulting in unacceptably short life spans in test subjects, which was not cost-effective for the project, and Omega Pirate weaponry still had critical design flaws. Since test subject life span predictions were available in simulations only, it seems that specimen was the first experiment with the Omega Pirate design.
The Space Pirates constructed an especially large Cryosleep Tank to house their creation in the Elite Quarters and stationed it beneath an unusual Phazon formation, around which they erected a series of catwalks. Phazon bubbles up from a pool under the tank, perhaps coming in direct contact with the subject and acting as a source of sustenance.
When Samus approaches the stasis tank in the Elite Quarters, the Omega Pirate awakens and shatters its stasis pod. To defeat it, Samus must destroy the Phazon plates on its knees and shoulders, which weakens it to the point of collapse. When weakened, the Omega Pirate summons reinforcements while it engages the Chameleon Manta technology, rendering it invisible as it attempts to heal.
Eventually the Omega Pirate will appear in one of three veins of Phazon in the chamber to regenerate the plates, and it is completely vulnerable during this time. To combat the cloaking technology, however, Samus must use the X-Ray Visor to target it. After causing sufficient damage to it, the Omega Pirate will disappear again and reappear at another vein of Phazon. If Samus damages it enough before it has finished regenerating, it will call for more reinforcements. Otherwise, it will disengage the cloak and return to combat with a renewed set of Phazon plates, and the cycle repeats.
Once defeated, it will collapse directly on top of Samus before disintegrating. The Phazon inside the Omega Pirate corrupts Samus's suit, resulting in the Phazon Suit and endowing Phazon Beam capabilities.
The Omega Pirate engaging the Chameleon Manta
- In the Trilogy and PAL versions of Metroid Prime, a well timed Power Bomb can be used to shatter all four plates at the same time, however in the NTSC version it will only cause the Omega Pirate to briefly stumble.
- In early releases of the NTSC version, the Omega Pirate can become momentarily frozen before it breaks out of its statis pod. This can be exploited to damage it before it begins to move. This does not occur in any other versions of the game nor in later releases of the NTSC version.
- The Omega Pirate may be one of the largest bosses Samus has ever fought, along with Kraid, Quadraxis, Flaahgra, Mogenar, and Amorbis.
- "Most powerful of the Elite Pirate Forces. Omega Pirate can become invisible to normal sight. It is vulnerable when cloaked, as all energy is drawn from defense systems. By exposing itself to Phazon, it can regenerate damaged tissue and organs. Considered the pinnacle of the Elite Pirate program, this enemy should be handled with extreme caution and maximum firepower." —Metroid Prime Logbook "Omega Pirate" (Metroid Prime)
- "Omega Pirate Absorption System test results are in. Field tests indicate that the system is very effective against Beam weaponry. We are alarmed at the field's inability to handle Missile attacks, however. Science Team is working around the clock to correct this critical design flaw. The Omega Pirate cannot afford such a weakness in battle." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Data suggests that Omega Pirate life spans are critically low. High levels of Phazon exposure are causing rapid cell degeneration in all test subjects. No subject lived longer than 2 deca-cycles in our simulations. Their life spans must be increased to be cost-effective." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Elite Pirate Upsilon's propensity for Phazon has enabled our research team to infuse it far beyond our safety restrictions, and the results have been extremely encouraging. Its constant Phazon diet has increased its mass exponentially, but it has retained all mental faculties and shows dexterity with all Elite weaponry, including Plasma Incendiary Launchers and the Chameleon Manta issued for cloaking purposes. Elite Pirate Upsilon exhibits miraculous healing abilities: when injured, it seeks out Phazon deposits and coats itself in the substance, which instantly mends the creature's wounds. The subject, which we are code-naming Omega Pirate based on these developments, shows potential to be a new standards for our armies. Our only concern at this point is its potential overdependence on Phazon." —Pirate Data "Omega Pirate" (Metroid Prime)