Project Titan was a Space Pirate experiment conducted in the Glacier One research outpost in Phendrana Drifts. The aim of the experiment was to mutate inanimate objects to the point of sentience by exposing them to Phazon radiation.
The Space Pirates' most successful venture, Thardus, was a sentient creature composed of Phazon Ore, originally intended to patrol the Phazon Mines. When it proved too powerful to tame, the Space Pirates immobilized it in the Quarantine Cave pending relocation to another area, but eventually massive casualties moved them to abandon Project Titan altogether.
- "Project Titan specimen is immobilized in Quarantine Cave. Relocation is recommended due to increased violent activity." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Research on Tallon IV is expanding into new areas. Pending stabilization of the Thardus venture, we will expand Inanimation research to include other native Tallon IV materials." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "An animated, sentient creature of stone charged with Phazon radiation." —Logbook (Metroid Prime)
- "Quarantine specimen exhibits highly aggressive behavior. Its body structure, composed of Phazon ore, appears nearly invulnerable. This has rendered our efforts to train and discipline subject useless." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "The taming of Thardus continues. Barring unforeseen setbacks, it can be installed on Phazon mine patrol by Lotus Milestone." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Project Titan is suspended indefinitely. Security breaches resulting in massive casualties have occurred. Access is strictly prohibited until further notice." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon ore appears to bind through Phazon energy. Thermal Imaging is required to detect the highest concentration of radioactivity, which serves to bind the stones together." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)