The Screw Attack is a powerful ability which turns Samus's armor into a weapon. Its first appearance was in the original Metroid and has been an upgrade in most subsequent games since, absent in only Metroid Prime and Metroid Prime Hunters. The Screw Attack allows Samus to somersault into enemies, killing many instantly. Some enemies can only be destroyed with the Screw Attack. It is extremely powerful, but Samus must put herself at close proximity to the enemy. Very few enemies are resistant to it. It does not work underwater if Samus does not have the Gravity Suit with the exception of Metroid: Other M.
- 1 Appearances
- 2 Data
- 3 Sprite
- 4 Trivia
- 5 Gallery
- 6 References
The Screw Attack in the 2D games is a very powerful weapon and is generally obtained late in-game. It is obtained in Norfair after defeating Ridley in his hideout Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission and in the same place in Super Metroid and it is obtained in Metroid Fusion upon defeating Ridley-X in Sector 1 (SRX). This weapon can decimate any small, less significant enemies, deal severe damage against larger more threatening enemies, and destroy even the seemingly invincible Rippers and Ripper II. The Screw Attack is also used to tear through Screw Attack Blocks and other easily breakable blocks. Since the Screw Attack only has offensive potential, it is not required in any 2D game exept for Metroid Fusion, due to its linear nature.
Metroid Prime Series
It retains a similar function in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, with some added capabilities. It allows Samus to jump up to seven times instead of the usual two which she can use to cross large distances easily. It also allows Samus to scale certain walls. The Gravity Boost activates underwater in Echoes instead of the Screw Attack, preventing Samus from using it while submerged. It can be steered slightly by tilting the control stick left or right during a Screw Attack.
Super Smash Bros. Series
- Main article: SmashWiki: Screw Attack
In Super Smash Bros. Melee, it is also an item that can be held and used by other characters. Whenever the character jumped, the Screw Attack activates. It can also be thrown, causing the target to do the Screw Attack. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, it is a badge that cannot be thrown but otherwise works the same.
Metroid: Zero Mission
"Damage enemies when somersaulting"
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
- "The Screw Attack allows you to transform into a mobile ball of deadly energy. The Screw Attack has a limit of consecutive jumps. After executing a Space Jump, press repeatedly to initiate and perform the Screw Attack. Use to steer while in Screw Attack mode.
- Samus's notes:
- Striking enemies with the Screw Attack will damage them. Performing a Screw Attack while facing and touching a wall will execute a Wall Jump. Use the Wall Jump to travel great vertical distances."
Metroid: Other M
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
- While in Hypermode, Samus's Screw Attack will shine blue rather than yellow; this is odd considering her Boost Ball remains shining yellow.
- Omega Ridley seems to avoid the Screw Attack at all costs. Attacking him with it will cause Ridley to jump away, even canceling his attack. If Samus manages to land a hit, however, it will deal no damage.
- "This powerful item turns Samus’ suit into a weapon. When the Screw Attack is activated, Samus can somersault into enemies and blast them out of the air." Super Metroid Instruction Booklet, Pg 25
- "After executing a Space Jump, press the B Button repeatedly and with good timing to initiate and preform multiple Screw Attacks. As you guide Samus with the Control Stick, she'll damage enemies and cross huge horizontal distances. If Samus performs a Screw Attack while facing and touching certain walls, she will perform a Wall Jump-stringing together multiple Wall Jumps allows her to climb great heights." Metroid Prime 2: Echoes Instruction Booklet, Pg 21
- "Attack with a spinning jump. Also use it to get back to the stage" Super Smash Bros Melee Instruction Booklet, Pg 41
Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "melee" defined multiple times with different content
- "A badge you can wear to turn jumps into Samus's signature Screw Attack. In Super Smash Bros. Melee, it was an item you carried, but this time around it's a badge you wear—which means you can use it and another item at the same time. There's a good chance you'll be able to string together Screw Attacks and midair strikes for powerful combos." —Trophy Gallery (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
- "This super strong Power Item spins in flight to attack the enemy. Samus's armor flashes during a screw attack." Metroid Instruction Booklet, Pg 23
- "Obtaining this power-up gives Samus the ability to damage enemies by jumping into them. (Activates automatically during a spin jump)." Metroid: Zero Mission Instruction Booklet, Pg 26
- "After executing a Space Jump, press B repeatedly and with good timing to initiated and perform Screw Attacks (a maximum of 6), which deals damage when you hit an enemy. Also, this will allow you to climb while jumping off some walls." Metroid Prime: Trilogy Instruction Booklet, Pg 29
- "After obtaining the "Screw Attack", if you press B during a Space Jump, you will jump while rotating. If you press B with good timing, you will be able to jump repeatedly (a maximum of 6), and if you hit an enemy, you will give damage. You will also be able to climb some walls while jumping back and forth." Metroid Prime: Trilogy Instruction Booklet, Pg 45
- "This allows Samus to destroy enemies she contacts while spinning through the air." Metroid II: Return of Samus Instruction Booklet, Pg 18
- "Hit enemies with Spin Jumps to cause damage." Metroid Fusion Instruction Booklet, Pg 31
- "Spin upward while attacking. Use it to get yourself back to safety after being launched." Super Smash Bros. Brawl Instruction Booklet, Pg 32
- "Press to Jump. While in the air, press again to Space Jump. Press repeatedly after that to Screw Attack." —Screen Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Screw Attack ability regained. Somersault into enemies." —Screen Data (Metroid Fusion)
- ""Damage enemies when somersaulting"" —Inventory Data (Metroid: Zero Mission)
- "The Screw Attack allows you to transform into a mobile ball of deadly energy. The Screw Attack has a limit of consecutive jumps. After executing a Space Jump, press repeatedly to initiate and perform the Screw Attack. Use to steer while in Screw Attack mode. Samus's notes:The Screw Attack has a limit of consecutive jumps. Striking enemies with the Screw Attack will damage them. Performing a Screw Attack while facing and touching a wall will execute a Wall Jump. Use the Wall Jump to travel great vertical distances." —Inventory Data (Metroid Prime 2:Echoes)