Luminoth Dark Age
The Dark Age of the Luminoth began when a stellar object hurdling through space collided with Aether, causing devastation of cataclysmic proportions. The Agon region, once fertile farmland, was scorched, and the Forests of Torvus were flooded. After some time the initial trauma to the planet subsided and the Luminoth ventured out of their shelters into the foul air. The impact shifted Aether into a state of Transdimensional Flux, stealing half of the planetary energy away from the Energy Controllers and making the planet violently unstable.
Amidst the chaos of reconstructing a devastated world, the Luminoth discovered spacial anomalies and objects experiencing atomic division. At the time, the Luminoth were too preoccupied with containing the devastation to research the cause of the disturbances. Those anomalies eventually grew beyond containment, tearing space asunder and opening dimensional rifts to a dark world. Faceless, dark swarms spilled out of the rifts, overtaking native creatures and possessing them, turning them into enemies of the Luminoth that they called Darklings. Many Luminoth were lost, including the Founder of Sanctuary Fortress.
- "The starborne terror burnt through the heavens and struck Aether with and untold might. We all expected the world to shatter...but Aether held. There was great devastation, however. The green plains of Agon were scorched forever, and the forest of Torvus was engulfed and wracked by the sea. The skies burned for days, casting darkness over the land." —Luminoth Lore "Cataclysm" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "In time, the roar of a wounded planet subsided. The air, though fouled, was breathable. Light made its way through the dark veil over our world. Slowly, we ventured out from the shelters of our home to see what remained of our paradise." —Luminoth Lore "Age of Anxiety" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "What little comfort we gained by surviving was soon shattered. Half of the planet's energy had vanished from the Energy Controllers. Aether became violently unstable as a result. Of the stellar object which stuck our home, there was no sign." —Luminoth Lore "Age of Anxiety" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Amidst this turmoil, we discovered many anomalies. Spacial disturbances appeared across the land. Objects went into a state of dimensional flux, their atoms divided between Aether and...somewhere else. There was little time to ponder these strange happenings, for we had to deal with the devastation of our lands." —Luminoth Lore "The World Warped" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The day came when space was torn asunder, revealing dimensional rifts to a dark place." —Luminoth Lore "The Ing Attack" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Horrible dark swarms streaked forth from these rifts, engulfing nearby creatures and transforming them into what we could come to call darklings. The dark creatures became our enemies, and peace came to an end on Aether." —Luminoth Lore "The Ing Attack" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of E-Btr, the founder of Sanctuary. He lived for nearly 5 centicycles, and died in hand-to-hand combat during the first Ing attacks." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "In time, we created machines to open rifts to our enemy's world. Volunteer scouts went through the rifts and found a twisted world, harsh and poisonous...a Dark Aether. They discovered that this world held the missing half of our planet's energy. They also saw the true face of the enemy, a race we came to call "Ing", meaning terror. Our scouts could not survive long on the surface of Dark Aether, so venomous was its air. Still, we vowed to return. We prepared for war." —Luminoth Lore "Dark Aether" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)