Founding and Devastation
Before the catastrophic impact of a stellar object, Torvus was a forest. Some time after the Luminoth had settled in the mountainous region, Torvus became the second area of Aether colonized by the Luminoth during their Golden Age. When the meteor struck, Torvus was devastated by the sea, and the areas that weren't completely flooded became a bog.
After the Ing claimed the Agon territory in war, the enemy turned their attention to Torvus Bog. The war brought multiple conflicts to Torvus, the most famous of which was the Fourth Battle of Torvus. Though the Ing met with heavy Luminoth resistance, including mighty warriors such as B-Stz, and endured thousands of casualties, they eventually emerged victorious and Torvus became the second Luminoth domain to fall to the Ing. The Torvus Temple was ravaged by the conflict, and the Sentinel A-Voq was killed. The Light of Aether was taken from the Energy Controller in the Temple by means of the stolen Energy Transfer Module.
Samus visits Torvus Bog shortly after returning the Light of Aether to the Energy Controller in Agon Wastes. Along with the native creatures, Samus encounters Space Pirates on multiple occasions. Torvus is separated into a swampy overworld and a flooded subterranean temple, and the excess of water here impedes her movement until she acquires the Gravity Boost just before engaging the Alpha Blogg in battle.
The overworld has a diverse ecosystem, housing both small creatures and large predators such as the reptilian Grenchler. The climate is moist and warm, making it a hospitable environment for various plantforms and wildlife. Among the indigenous species unique to the Torvus overworld are Torvus Bearerpods and Torvus Hanging Pods, Bloatsacs, Krocusses, Shriekers and Shredders, Sporbs, Seedbursters, and Hydlings.
The Submerged Temple
The underwater temple is a testament to the ingenuity and beauty of Luminoth architecture, much of it functional as well as decorative. Besides powered statues that are manipulated by Bomb Slots and Spinner devices, there are Kinetic Orb Cannons designed to work in a submerged environment in conjunction with tube systems, magnetic rail systems, Concealed Movement Pads, and even an interactive Luminoth Laser Emitter. The temple is also infested with the indigenous aquatic predator, the Blogg, and their immature offspring, the Bloggling.
- "We settled in a mountain region first, in cliffside dwellings. In time, we established settlements in the green forest of Torvus and in the fertile plains of Agon." —Luminoth Lore "Paradise" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The starborne terror burnt through the heavens and struck Aether with and untold might. We all expected the world to shatter...but Aether held. There was great devastation, however. The green plains of Agon were scorched forever, and the forest of Torvus was engulfed and wracked by the sea. The skies burned for days, casting darkness over the land." —Luminoth Lore "Cataclysm" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of B-Stz, a great hero of Torvus. B-Stz led the charge in the Fourth battle of Torvus, single-handedly killing the Ing Horde war chief in battle. He died of old age in the temple he helped defend." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "As you can see, this temple has been crippled by the ravages of war. While the main chamber has been mostly preserved, the remainder of the temple has been flooded." —A-Voq (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The Ing turned their focus on the Torvus Bog next, sending a vast force to lay siege to the temple there. Thousands upon thousands of Ing were destroyed by our warriors, yet they kept coming until there was no Luminoth alive to offer resistance in Torvus. On that day, the energy of Torvus was taken to Dark Aether, and our hopes for survival grew dim." —Luminoth Lore "Torvus Falls" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a common strain of Venom Weed. Poisonous plant retracts into the ground if threatened. Thrives in any warm environment." —Logbook (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)