The Agon region was settled by the Luminoth shortly after the founding of Sanctuary Fortress during their Golden Age. It was once covered in fertile green plains and was home to many farmers, but the impact of a Phazon-laden meteor scorched the land and replaced the lush plains with barren, desert wastelands. The Agon Temple built in this region is the location of one the four Energy Controllers on Aether, and the first of the Luminoth domains to fall to the Ing during their conflict.
Several large predators, such as Sandiggers, make their home in Agon. It is also the habitat of the weaker Sandbats, Brizgees, and Lumites. The environment is capable of supporting only the most resilient of foliage, such as the indigenous Sandgrass and common desert Blueroot Trees.
The Mining Plaza
- Agon Wastes is the region with the most upgrades in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, with twenty in total.
- "Aether was a fertile, aged world with bountiful fields and oceans. The native creatures were gentle compared to other worlds we had encountered. We settled in a mountain region at first, in cliffside dwellings. In time, we established settlements in the green forests of Torvus and the fertile plains of Agon. A Great Temple was built between our three domains, a place of peace and a monument to our accomplishments. It was a time of harmony for our people." —Luminoth Lore "Paradise" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of K-Tch, a great hero of Agon. He was a farmer until Agon was devastated by the coming of Dark Aether and the Ing." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "The starborne terror burnt through the heavens and struck Aether with an untold might. We all expected the world to shatter... but Aether held. There was great devastation, however. The green plains of Agon were scorched forever, and the forest of Torvus was engulfed and wracked by the sea. The skies burned for days, casting darkness over the land." —Luminoth Lore (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "A massive Ing attack came to the land of Agon. Soon, the Temple of Agon was surrounded by the Horde, with no hope of salvation. Our gallant warriors there were slain, and Agon fell to the enemy. Our blood chilled when we learned that the energy within that temple was drained. The Ing had found the Energy Transfer Module, and were using it as a weapon against us." —Luminoth Lore (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "This is a statue of D-Chr, the Child Hero of Agon. Once a lowly acolyte squire, he became a warrior when the temple was attacked. All warriors but D-Chr were slain, leaving the boy as sole defender of the temple. He served for nearly a centicycle before being lost in battle on Dark Aether." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Bioscan complete. Luminoth subject terminated 1.5 decacycles ago. Damage from multiple weapon systems detected. Subject definately went out fighting." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)