Wave Beam (Metroid Prime)
The Wave Beam is one of three beam weapons left behind on Tallon IV by the Chozo for use by Samus Aran. The weapon is the only weapon that Samus has ever used that fires electrical charges of energy, she makes use of this to activate otherwise disengaged machinery. The technology was mimicked by the Space Pirates and installed onto Wave Troopers' systems and obtained by Metroid Prime.
The Wave Beam configuration is unique in that it causes the Arm Cannon to fire three beams at once. The smaller beams are oscillate electrical pulses that will have limited homing abilities on any target Samus locks on to. A charged shot will briefly paralyze enemies that it hits. The Wave Beam fires slower than the Plasma Beam and Power Beam, but faster than the Ice Beam. Each individual beam is weaker than even the Power Beam, however, it the three combined are stronger than the Power Beam. Without being locked on, any number of the three beams can hit Samus's target.
Obtaining the Wave Beam
The Chozo left behind the Wave Beam to help Samus obtain all of the Artifacts and destroy the source of Phazon in the Impact Crater. It sits an a small, raised platform in the Chapel of the Elders. Samus's first attempt at reaching it is met with opposition from Baby Sheegoths. Defeating a few of these will reveal a much larger and more dangerous adult Sheegoth. Defeating the Sheegoth will reveal the Wave Beam.
Wave Beam technology is also one of Samus's weapons that have been reverse-engineered, wielded by the Wave Trooper variation of Trooper Pirates. They use a weaker version of the Wave Beam and are only susceptible the Samus's Wave Beam.
Metroid Prime also managed to get a hold of the power of the Wave Beam. She is able to fire a large stream of Wave Beam energy that can disrupt Samus's visor. She can also fire large, slow moving blasts of Wave Beam energy. While using its Wave Beam attacks, it is only vulnerable to Samus's Wave Beam.
- Main article: Wavebuster
In Game Data
"Fire the Wave Beam to open Purple Doors. The Wave Beam won't home in on targets without a lock-on. Press and hold L to lock on. Charge the Wave Beam to fire a fierce electric blast. Enemies struck by this blast will be enveloped in electrical energy for a few moments."
- "Fire the Wave Beam to open Purple Doors. The Wave Beam won't home in on targets without a lock-on. Press and hold L to lock on. Charge the Wave Beam to fire a fierce electric blast. Enemies struck by this blast will be enveloped in electrical energy for a few moments." —Samus's Notes (Metroid Prime)
- "Well-armed and armored security mecha. Sentry Drones are susceptible to electrical attacks. Their electronic warfare suit can scramble Visor technology as well." —Logbook - Sentry Drone (Metroid Prime)
- "This door has no power. A nearby Power Conduit must be energized for it to open. A blast of electrical energy will energize the conduit." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Space Pirate armed with Wave Beam technology. Space Pirates have reverse-engineered several of your weapons, including the Wave Beam. A flaw in the design makes these Pirates vulnerable to their own Beam weapon system. These weapons are inferior to your Chozo-designed originals, but still quite potent." —Logbook - Wave Trooper (Metroid Prime)
- "The Wave Beam fires three oscillating waves of energy. As with the other beam weapons, the Wave Beam is especially effective against certain energies and can be powered up once Samus finds the Charge Beam. The Wave Beam also features a limited homing effect." Metroid Prime Instruction Booklet, Pg 17
- "The Wave Beam fires 3 oscillating waves of energy. When you lock on and fire, the beam homes the target. Enemies hit by this beam may get a electrical shock and be unable to move." Metroid Prime: Trilogy Instruction Booklet, Pg 14