Science Team is the branch of the Space Pirate organization responsible for the research and development of various technologies, most notably biotech research using Phazon and Metroid morphology. They report to the Space Pirate High Command, and Pirate Data often indicates that Command exerts tremendous pressure on Science Team to meet their predetermined timetable.
Initial Phazon Studies
After detecting a massive energy spike in the Spiral Sector and conducting reconnaissance of Tallon IV, a research headquarters and Science Team were established to study and experiment with the mutagen Phazon. Initial tests on the indigenous Parasites were promising, resulting in Parasite Queens, leading them to experiment on inanimate objects and even Space Pirate embryos. Though initial experiments with Space Pirate embryos met with disaster, the discovery of Vertigo Phazon by Research Team Sclera stabilized the endeavor and led to the maturation of Elite Pirates, Phazon Elite, and the Omega Pirate. Focus then turned to rectifying design flaws and studying Phazon Madness.
Studies of Metroids were also top priority, and Phazon infusion testing began immediately after subjects were transported to the planet. Studies of their biology revealed that Metroids had enormous potential as an energy source and as weapons, though dissection studies were often inconclusive.
Science Team also did extensive research on reverse-engineering Samus Aran's arsenal, including her Beam weapons, which resulted in the formation of Trooper Pirate forces, and her Morph Ball, which met with less success. Science Team hypothesized that her gunship, which the Pirates were searching for, had a sophisticated cloaking device beyond their capabilities.
Studies of the Chozo Artifacts, which they hypothesized were behind the spectral attacks on their forces, fell to Science Team as well, though their linguistic analysts and language databases were ultimately inadequate to the task of deciphering the messages on the corresponding totems in the Artifact Temple.
Science Team was responsible for the discovery of Phazon in the Dasha System. Shortly after a base was set up on Aether, a Portal and an artifact were discovered within and Science Team managed to open the rift into Dark Aether. Phazon extractions in Dark Aether began, and Science Team began creating powerful armor to defend against the toxic atmosphere and hostile native bioforms.
Metroid studies continued on Aether, with focus on mass breeding and training of Metroids. The inability of troops to tame the subjects led some to believe Science Team's decision was extremely unwise.
- "We have come to another dead end. It is clear now that we will never discover the locations of the Chozo's artifacts until we can decipher the messages carved into the statues in this abominable temple. Our language databases are woefully inadequate, and our linguistic analysts can come up with little more than vague theories. The best hypothesis we can offer is that finding the artifacts will require items spiritually linked to the Chozo civilization. However, without these items, we are lost, and Command grows more impatient by the day. Results must be produced soon." —Pirate Data "Artifact" (Metroid Prime)
- "Scans of the Spiral Sector detected a massive energy spike emanating from a Wanderer-class planet identified as Tallon IV. Scout reconnaissance was immediately dispatched to the center of the spike, a land mass at heading mark 40.08.02, returning with planetary samples and atmospheric imaging. Analysis shows the energy source to be an unstable radioactive material of enormous potential. We are unable to form an accurate risk-assessment at this time, but we are unlikely to find an energy source this powerful again. Analysis will continue, but currently Tallon IV appears to be a viable secondary headquarters." —Pirate Data "Contact" (Metroid Prime)
- "We have codified the newfound energy source as Phazon, a V-index mutagen of which we have very little reliable data. Indications point to a meteor of unknown origins impacting an indeterminable time ago, expelling Phazon into the environment. This material appears to possess lifelike characteristics, mutating organic life-forms strong enough to withstand its poison. There mutations appear promising, with abrupt evolutionary leaps appearing in single-generation reproduction. Plans to establish a Science Team on Tallon IV are being finalized." —Pirate Data "Phazon Analysis" (Metroid Prime)
- "Phazon mining is under way. Several garrisons have been established and terraforming of the Chozo Ruins is under way. Security systems are operational, and Science Team continues to make progress in their biotech research. The Phendrana Drifts have proven to be an optimal location of Research Headquarters, and soon it will be joined by a fully operation Combat base and starport. If Command's predictions are half true, we shall rise dominant of this sector within a deca-cycle. Truly, these are glorious times." —Pirate Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Our initial tests exposing Tallon IV's indigenous Parasites to Phazon appears to be successful. Increases in size, strength and aggressiveness are common in all test subjects, as well as unforeseen evolutions like addition poison sacs within the abdomen and the appearance of a second ring on mandible in several subjects. These creatures were chosen because of their resilience, and it appears possible that, given enough exposure to Phazon, they many be able to survive on any planet we transport them to. Our methods will have to be refined; we currently have 100% extinction rate after the forth infusion period, and most survivors of the third infusion stage are so violent and uncontrollable that they have to be euthanized. Even still, we remain hopeful that further experimentation will result in success." —Pirate Data "Parasite Larva" (Metroid Prime)
- "Research on Tallon IV is expanding into new areas. Pending stabilization of the Thardus venture, we will expand Inanimation research to include other native Tallon IV materials." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Confidence is high regarding Phazon applications. We know enough about Phazon now to begin combining it with Space Pirate DNA. The code name for this venture will be 'Project Helix'. Preliminary studies indicate that Phazon infusion could produce radical Pirate genomes. Benevolent mutation levels are high in current test subjects. Phazon madness is a concern, but refinements in the infusion process should reduce or neutralize the the odds of mental degeneration." —Pirate Data "Phazon Infusion" (Metroid Prime)
- "Initial Project Helix experiments with Space Pirate embryos were disastrous. The Phazon-infusion process degenerated brain tissue even as it augmented muscle mass. None of what termed Elite Pirates lived to maturity; the few that survived their infanthood suffered severe psychotic breakdowns as juveniles, killing anything within their zone of perception. Research team Sclera made a recent breakthrough, in which parasite studies with a Phazon strain code-named Vertigo were highly successful. Since then we have successful fused Vertigo Phazon with Space Pirate DNA with great success. The latest batch of Elite Pirates have reached maturity successfully and are ready for field testing and training." —Pirate Data "Elite Pirates" (Metroid Prime)
- "Omega Pirate Absorption System test results are in. Field tests indicate that the system is very effective against Beam weaponry. We are alarmed at the field's inability to handle Missile attacks, however. Science Team is working around the clock to correct this critical design flaw." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "An entire shift of Dynamo workers have been transferred following bouts of Phazon madness. Units have reported to Science Team for use in laboratory studies and the new Elite Pirate program. Their dementia will make them adequate training adversaries for the Elite team." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Initial transfer of Metroids to Tallon IV research facilities has been completed. Three were terminated in an incident at the landing site, but the others were pacified and transported safely. Initial Phazon infusion testing is under way. We are eager to observe the effects of Phazon on Metroids, especially their ability to absorb and process the energy give off by Phazon sources. Early research suggest a considerable growth in power and size. Whether the creatures will stay stable thereafter remains to be seen." —Pirate Data "Metroid Studies" (Metroid Prime)
- "Studies of Metroid biology continue, though with limited progress. It seems likely that we will be much more successful using the Metroids for our means rather than trying to reproduce their powers. If they could be adequately tamed, we would have no need of a proper understanding of their metabolism. A small force of disciplined Metroids could wipe out entire armies, and once we find a way to shield them from cold-containment weapons, they will be invincible. Furthermore, if we could then harvest the energy they'd consumed, we would have a near-limitless source of power at our disposal." —Pirate Data "Metroid Forces" (Metroid Prime)
- "Metroid dissection continues to produce more questions than answers. Our research teams have isolated the energy conduits that run from the invasive twin mandibles to the energy core in the creature's quadripartite nucleus, but the manner in which the Metroid actually extracts the life force from its pray remains an utter mystery. The victim does not lose blood or any other vital fluids, and yet the Metroid extracts energy; identifying this energy is our central problem. It takes no physical form, and yet without it, the victim dies. We will continue to research this matter, as the isolation of this life-giving essence could be the key to our ascendance." —Pirate Data "Metroid Morphology" (Metroid Prime)
- "Science Team is attempting to reverse-engineer Samus Aran's arsenal, based off data acquired from here assaults on our forces. Progress is slow, but steady. Command would dearly enjoy turning Aran's weapons against her. We believe we can implement Beam weapon prototypes in three cycles. Aran's Power Suit technology remains a mystery, especially the curious Morph Ball function. All attempts at duplicating it have ended in disaster; four test subjects were horribly broken when they engaged our Morph Ball prototypes. Science Team wisely decided to move on afterward." —Pirate Data "Hunter Weapons" (Metroid Prime)
- "Recon Teams are searching for the Hunter's gunship. Science Team believes it employs a sophisticated cloaking device beyond our capabilities. Aside from dumb luck, we may never discover its location. We must contain or eliminate Aran. Failure to comply with Command decree is not an option." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Imaging research is being conducted in the containment Vault area of this facility." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "Science Team is accepting volunteers for Advanced Weapons Training." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime)
- "There have been numerous incidents involving spectral entities at Chozo Ruins sites. Several personnel have been assaulted by these Chozo Ghosts; few have survived. Survivors speak of swift attacks from nowhere, brief sitings of the enemy, then nothing, only to be followed by another attack. Science Team believes these attacks are in response to our efforts to recover Chozo relics and Artifacts." —Pirate Data "Chozo Ghosts" (Metroid Prime)
- "Science teams have discovered the presence of Phazon in the Dasha system four cycles ago. High command authorized the deployment of our team shortly thereafter. Our orders are to establish a base on planet Aether and evaluate local Phazon resources." —Space Pirate Logs "Log 04.468.1 (Phazon Operations)" (Metroid Prime)
- "The Rift Portal has been opened. The artifact weapon, dubbed the "Dark Beam" by science team, provides energy needed to open the portal, although for a limited time. We've sent expeditions through the portal, and they have returned with incredible news. The portal leads to a parallel version of Aether." —Space Pirate Logs "Log 05.422.1 (Rift Portal)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Phazon extraction raids are under way on Dark Aether. The toxicity of the atmosphere has taken a toll on our workforce, as have the hostile natives of that world. Science Team is preparing survival gear to protect our work teams, and we have increased our security presence in extraction areas." —Space Pirate Logs "Log 06.221.7 (Phazon Raids)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Metroid Energy Report, 07.202.09
Until we recover more Phazon, we rely on Metroids for power. Command has authorized mass breeding of Metroids for this purpose." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Training Report, 07.200.08
Science Team believes the Metroids can be trained. After several cycles of trying, I believe Science Team has vapor for brains. I've lost two assistants to the wretched little things." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Samus Aran, the accursed Hunter, has arrived. The sudden arrival of the Hunter is strange enough, but her actions are stranger still. She does not seek our destruction, but our Phazon. With each raid, she steals Phazon ore, only killing those who attempt to deny her. What she needs it for we do not know - though Science Team suspects she requires it to power her new armorsuit. Dark in color, it is equipped with strange new weapons. The troops now call her the "Dark Hunter." It is a fitting title." —Space Pirate Logs "Log 06.362.2 (The Hunter)" (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)