|This article is about Kraid, the recurring enemy. For Kraid's lair, see Kraid (area).|
Kraid is a large reptilian creature and the most prominent Space Pirate aside from Ridley and Mother Brain. He attacks by firing projectiles from his abdomen and claws. His lair is in the Depths of Brinstar.
In Kraid's original appearance, he is far smaller than in the future games and his entire body is vulnerable. Samus obtains a large expansion of Missiles after Kraid is defeated.
Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Metroid
Kraid returns in both Metroid: Zero Mission and Super Metroid in a much larger, two-screen tall form. Kraid is able to spew rocks from his mouth, and fires giant claws from the three holes on his belly, which act as platforms. Kraid can also throw his sharp claws from his fingertips. Samus defeats him by firing Missiles, Super Missiles, or blasts from the Charge Beam directly into his mouth.
Kraid was planned to be in the original Metroid Prime in his own section of the Phazon Mines called "Meta Kraid." He was shown with blue Phazon veins running up his abdomen and a metal guard on his head. However, due to time restraints, he never made it into the final version of the game.
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Kraid also appears in the Super Smash Bros. series stage Brinstar Depths, where he rocks the floating platform making up the stage. This stage appears in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and the stage music appears in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but not the stage itself.
Kraid also appears in the Metroid Manga. Samus, at first, has a considerable amount of trouble defeating the powerful Kraid. Samus manages to defeat Kraid with the help of the Morph Ball Bomb upgrade supplied by Adam Malkovich. Although his appearance is relatively brief, it is significant in that it marks the first and only time Samus uses her Morph Ball Bombs in the manga.
- Kraid is one of the largest bosses Samus has ever fought, along with Quadraxis, Flaahgra, Omega Pirate, Mogenar, Phantoon, and Amorbis.
- Kraid's roar in Super Metroid and Metroid: Zero Mission is sourced of the Tyranosaurus from the 1957 Universal film The Land Unknown. This same cry can also be heard during the battles against Phantoon and Crocomire.
- "The level that he was to be included in was well underway to being designed. There just was not enough development time remaining to fully implement all aspects of the scenario that were needed to pull off a highly polished/fun gaming experience... It was [ultimately] decided that Kraid was not imperative enough to the Metroid Prime project to run the risk of pushing up the release date in order to fit him in" —Did You Know?) (
- "This is the head of the Mini-Boss hideout. He hurls horns from his stomach and back. Be very careful of his fierce attacks. If Samus gets hit by him, his energy will be weakened a lot." Metroid Instruction Booklet, Pg 32
- "The largest enemy in all of the mazes beneath the surface of Planet Zebes, Kraid fires spikes from his belly and claws from his fingertips for extremely powerful attacks." Metroid: Zero Mission Instruction Booklet, Pg 33
- "The giant lizard of Brinstar attacks Samus with thorny projectiles and spits spheres out of its mouth. No weapons -beams, Missiles, or bombs- have any effect on its body. The creature's weak point is unknown." Super Metroid Instruction Booklet, Pg 29