Pirate Militia are basic, expendable units of the Space Pirate Organization. They were first commissioned around the events of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, before the Leviathan impact on the Pirate Homeworld and the Pirates' takeover by Dark Samus. Pirate Militia are based off of slaves and criminals from the Pirate Homeworld and are forced to participate in battle. Being among the lowest of the Space Pirate caste system, they obey their superiors with ease, and in return, gain survival and trust. If any disloyalty is sensed by a member of a higher Pirate rank, the Militia will either be killed or consumed by the other Pirates. The Militia are not equipped with Phazon Enhancement Devices like their superiors, however they have the ability to enter Hypermode. This is most likely caused by the initial Phazon takeover of the Space Pirates. Pirate Militia are equipped with a weaker Arm Cannon than regular Pirate Troopers, but carry a retractable Scythe that is very similar to the higher-ranked Pirates. When battled by Samus Aran, a charged shot from the Power Beam or a Missile will easily kill a lightly-armored member of the Militia.
Despite being at the lowest ranking of Space Pirates, the Militia consist of two varieties, excluding the simplest form.
Shield Pirate Militia
- Main article: Shield Pirate Militia
Shield Pirate Militia are Militia members that are equipped with an energy shield alike to the Shield Pirate Trooper's. The shield can be ripped off with the Grapple Lasso, or one can simplify matters with use of Phazon attacks, the Grapple Voltage, or the Hyper Grapple.
Armored Pirate Militia
- Main article: Armored Pirate Militia
Armored Pirate Militia carry armor that reflects standard beam projectiles. Missiles and Phazon attacks can easily break the armor.
- Hidden within the game's coding is unused logbook data for several Pirate Militia variants that are abesent from the final version of the game: the Advanced and Assault Pirate Militias, both of which also have unused shield variants.
- "The pirates have not enhanced all of their fighting forces. They continue to use militia units in battle. These groups are made up of slaves and criminals, and do not receive the Phazon enhancements given to regular army troopers. They are surprising obedient to the upper castes within the pirate military. Rumor has it that disobedient militia members often find themselves as dinner for regular army troopers." — Logbook "Pirate Militia" (Metroid Prime 3: Corruption)
- "Morphology: Advanced Pirate Militia. Expendable infantry units. Armor vulnerable to explosives. The additional armor of the Advanced Pirate Militia increases their resistance to Beam weaponry, but they remain vulnerable to explosive attacks. The Advanced Pirate Militia contains promoted soldiers from the Armored Pirate Militia. Once the pirate military is satisfied with a unit's performance, they will grant them a higher rank. With the promotion comes additional support in the form of an extra layer of ablative armor for combat." Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - The Cutting Room Floor, The Cutting Room Floor
- "Morphology: Assault Pirate Militia. Expendable infantry units. Armor vulnerable to explosive blasts. The heavy armorsuits of the Assault Pirate Militia provide adequate resistance to most weapon systems. This unit is the most skilled of all the militia forces. If able to prove themselves in combat, the pirate military will grant them admittance into the official army ranks." Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - The Cutting Room Floor, The Cutting Room Floor
- "Morphology: Advanced Shield Militia. Battle shield deflects attacks, but can be pulled with Grapple Beam.The pirates in this militia unit wear an additional layer of ablative armor. Despite the added protection, the armorsuit is still vulnerable to explosive blasts. Their portable battle shield, while resistant to most small-arms fire, is also easily pulled off. Phazon-based attacks can also destroy the shield." Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - The Cutting Room Floor, The Cutting Room Floor
- "Morphology: Assault Shield Militia. Battle shield deflects attacks, but can be pulled with Grapple Beam. Members of this militia are well equipped. Their heavy armorsuit is resistant to most weapon systems, and their portable battle shield can withstand most small-arms fire. Their shields provide excellent protection, but are easily ripped from their arms. Phazon-based attacks can easily destroy the shield." Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - The Cutting Room Floor, The Cutting Room Floor