The room houses a Portal Generator and acts as a gateway between the two dimensions. There are three industrial lenses suspended along the center of the chamber that concentrate solar power into a Portal Dynamo at the western end of the room. The dynamo then channels the solar power along paths on the floor to the Portal Generator, allowing it to be activated. The lenses are initially in the inactive position and can only be activated by following a series of Morph Ball conveyors on the walls. The tracks can only be accessed after activating a Bomb Slot near the Portal Generator, and the Bomb Slot will not come online until the defeat of the two Dark Pirate Troopers. This Morph Ball path goes along a long track that will move each of the lenses into position. There are also two Pillbugs in the tunnel, as well as minor obstacles made of Talloric Alloy. The movement of each lens will cause a number of War Wasps to appear.
If Samus enters the room without the Morph Ball Bombs, there will be no inhabitants. The first time Samus enters the room while in possession of the Bomb upgrade, two Pirate Troopers will attack. After their defeat, two more Troopers will appear, and will then be possessed by Ing and become Dark Pirate Troopers.
Both doors to connecting rooms are found on the west side of the room. The door to Portal Access A is immediately accessible. The door to the Transport Center, however, is behind a large door that can only be lowered using a nearby Bomb Slot. This Bomb Slot is in a state of Transdimensional Flux, and can only be manipulated on Dark Aether in the Portal Site.
Available Logbook Data
- Before venturing into Dark Aether, a Splinter Cocoon can be seen nestled in the crevasses of the ceiling, but cannot be scanned and does not open. The cocoon is missing on later visits to the Portal Terminal.
- "Structural analysis complete. Industrial solar lens, part of a system used to open a portal to Dark Aether." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Mechanical analysis complete. Portal dynamo offline. Configure lens system to focus solar power on dynamo. This will energize the system." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Mechanical analysis complete. Solar dynamo online. Dimensional portal system energized." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Object scan complete. Target is part of a conveyor system. Conveyor system originally used to transport Kinetic Orbs. Provides access to upper section of rooms." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Device: Bomb Slot
Powered system control unit. Insert the Morph Ball into the slot then detonate a Bomb. This will transfer energy from the slot to the device connected to it." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Structural analysis complete. Object is composed of Talloric Alloy. Structural integrity has decayed considerably." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Object scan complete. Door control governed by Bomb Slot. Control link seems to originate from Dark Aether, however." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)
- "Object scan complete. Target is in a state of dimensional flux. Unable to completely scan Bomb Slot target. 50% of its component atoms are in another dimension, or on the surface of Dark Aether." —Scan Data (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes)